'07 Transmission Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dexron 6 is synthetic. It doesn't matter which brand you use it is all synthetic. Dexron 6 is actually the synthetic version if Dexron 3, according to Valvoline sales reps.

All dexron 6 is not full synthetic. Look at castrol dexron 6. It is a synthetic blend.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Thanks. The Dexron 6 runs about $7-8, should 5 quarts be enough?

Last question if you guys don't mind:
The filter/gaskets say either "shallow pan" or "4 1/4 deep pan." How do I know which I have?

Look at the pan. I'd it's 4 inches deep then it is the deep pan filter. If not, you just need the standard one. I'm willing to bet you need the standard one. It's the more common one.

ess82198

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a complete flush using the method where you intercept a cooler line, changed filter also. VERY easy and not messy at all. Tranny runs great with no issues. I have been changing fluid routinely at 50k intervals. I think there was a thread about the process on here somewhere but here is an abbreviated summary of the steps:
1. Get a 5 gal bucket and mark it in 1 qt intervals.
2. Remove the top cooler line on the radiator.
3. Since it has a special fitting, go to a junkyard and salvage another line to use as a drain. Attach hose to that line and drain into bucket. Make sure you don't lose the retainer clip for the line! I did and had to rig a fix until i could get the right retainer.
4. Start car up and pump out 4 qt. and turn off.
5. Drop pan and change filter, clean pan out. Nice part about pumping pan almost dry is you miss the red shower of tranny fluid.
6. Install pan and fill 4 qt.., the same amount you took out, through filler tube.
7. Next, have someone at the ignition and run one quart out, then fill one quart back until you replace the full capacity of your system or fluid runs bright red. NEVER LET THE PUMP RUN DRY! Dump one quart, turn off, fill, start up, pump, stop, fill, and so on. A helper is handy for this.
8. Hook cooler line back up and your finished!
This was done on an 07 4wd Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1