07 yukon denali service 4wd light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thogan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 07 yukon denali xl. It is AWD. It has the message service 4wd on the instrument panel. No codes stored in the transmission or transfer case. Drives great and dosent act like anything is wrong with it. Not sure why it would say service 4wd if it is AWD. Gauge cluster has been replaced in it. Not sure if it could have the wrong gauge cluster causing the service 4wd light. Any ideas?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same rig and I’m trying to remember if it said 4wd or AWD. I think said 4wd but who knows, I’m old. You have no codes at all when you do a scan but the service light is on? That’s an odd one. Do you have access to a Tech 2 diagnostic tool? It’s bidirectional and arguably the best for these rigs. It’s hard to say which direction to go without any DTC’s but I’d start with the basics like the connections on the transfer case and transmission.
These rigs are also notorious for ground connections that go bad so check them. Any idea why the instrument panel was changed?
On my Sierra the service 4wd problem was the actuator motor. It set off the light but drove normally.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 07 yukon denali xl. It is AWD. It has the message service 4wd on the instrument panel. No codes stored in the transmission or transfer case. Drives great and dosent act like anything is wrong with it. Not sure why it would say service 4wd if it is AWD. Gauge cluster has been replaced in it. Not sure if it could have the wrong gauge cluster causing the service 4wd light. Any ideas?
Codes may reside in the chassis modules and basic code readers usually only read from the engine computer, not the transmission, transfer case, anti-lock brakes, etc.

4WD is AWD as far as the computer is concerned, don't worry about that.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, you most likely are not using a quality bi-directional scanner, as there is surely a code buried within the electronics that can only be extracted by one of these quality scanners. Once you find and interpret the code, the solution could very well be a simple one.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen that message.

I've had the awd tranfer case out of our 07 Yukon Denali before (2018).

There aren't any wire(s)/sensor(s) going to the awd transfer case, or frt or rear differentials, so I don't see how that is possible? UNLESS its a mileage thing and every 100k miles or so it pops that message?
We bought our 07 Denali with 130k miles and now it has 198k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jburke1