'07 Yukon XL Denali - AirBag Issue - Scanner NOT Reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '07 Yukon XL Denali, recently started getting "Service Airbag" on my display.

I have a TopTak Scanner model TP-150 and I have used this on my wife's '04 Chevy Avalanche to reset error codes successfully.

When I try to use the scanner on my Yukon, won't read the codes?

From what I see, it should work since it is an OBDII system.

Any ideas on why I cannot read the Airbag issue on my Yukon?

Bruce

Mechahead

Reaction score
It looks as if your 07 uses a CAN communication system rather than any of the the 4 typical OBD2 systems. And doing a little looking around the scanner you have does not support CAN. I would search out a local garage with a decent scan tool you can trust to at least read your code.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks as if your 07 uses a CAN communication system rather than any of the the 4 typical OBD2 systems. And doing a little looking around the scanner you have does not support CAN. I would search out a local garage with a decent scan tool you can trust to at least read your code.

Thanks, tried to validate what the '07 Yukon used, did not find that it used CAN.

Guess I have to get a new scanner! :)

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Where did you find that the '07 Yukon is CAN rather than OBDII? Can't seem to nail that down.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a new scanner, CAN interface, connects to the vehicle but does not see the airbag as a DTC?

Tried to clear any error messages, but says there are none to clear?

The display on my dash indicates "Service Airbag"?

Since the Yukon has quite a few airbags, I am not sure which one is causing the issue.

I wanted to clear the error and see if it comes back, but I am stuck now.

Any suggestions?

Mechahead

Reaction score
The problem is still there if the light is still on. The airbag system self clears the active codes when the problem goes away. I am not sure which if any of the handheld scanners do air bag codes so I am of no help there. As I stated, I would see if you can get a reputable garage to read the code for you even if it is a nominal fee. I am sure we can work it out from there.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks......

So airbag issues are NOT usually regular DTC's?

My wife has an '04 chevy Avalanche and it periodically says there is an issue with the airbag, again no indication on the display which one. I can use my original (not recently purchased) scanner and clear that DTC, then the display does not have a DTC showing up.

Is this just something with the CAN? Or something different between an '04 Chevy and a '07 Yukon?

I'll see if I can get a local guy to read the code and possibly clear it.

Mechahead

Reaction score
I don't think it is just with CAN. I have always owned Snap-On scanners and never tried the hand held's on the air bag system. When you get the code read, post it here, maybe I can help get it figured out.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the code read and tried clearing it, it came back.

Code is: B0083 Front End Sensor 1

Any chance you can point me to where this sensor is?