'07 Yukon XL Denali Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like the starter (or really the solenoid) on my '07 Yukon XL Denali needs to be replaced. Has the 6.2L LS motor.

I did a little looking around, found probably the best price on a NEW one at Rock Auto. It's a Remy, costs ~$100 shipped. The AC/Delco one is ~$160.

Anyone have any opinions on the Remy? Wondering if that is the same company as Delco Remy that made electrical parts for GM?

My Yukon has 127k miles on it, so this type issue is not unexpected at this point, just glad it's not freezing cold outside! I do all the mechanical work on my other 5 show cars, just dropped a 406 SBC into my '75 el Camino, nice now!

Feedback/comments, opinions/experiences with the Remy started would be appreciated.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it is, but don't want to do the work of taking the starter out, replacing the solenoid, getting that working, and then having the starter need to be replaced, this is a part that gets wear and tear on it, and with $127k miles on it, just easier to do the starter and solenoid at the same time.

Any opinions on the Remy starter?

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a starter and alternator rebuilder for 20 years, here is the inside story:

Both Remy or Ac-Delco starters for your application was re-manufactured in USA before China and Mexico export their ones here. You never get an USA made factory NEW starter/alternator from dealer or parts store, factory NEW starter/alternator only comes with NEW vehicle.

No difference among USA and China and Mexico made starters. The Remy or Ac-Delco starter you buy could be made/rebuilt in China or Mexico.

Go to rockauto.com and get a China or Mexico made new starter, cheap. Why pay big over-head for special logo?

If you can replace engine, you should be able to rebuild the starter, get a new solenoid, clean the starter internal parts, repack the grease and the starter is good to crank another 100K miles.

If you have difficulty to get a new solenoid, please PM me.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. The solenoid on our 6.2 is prone to fail bease of the short wire length going to it from the battery cable clamp and the fact that it's right next to the exhaust manifold. I would say the only thing you need to do is clean, regrease, and change the solenoid. And I trust that more than any remanufactured starter any day knowing I personally seen the parts and fixed it myself

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a starter and alternator rebuilder for 20 years, here is the inside story:

Both Remy or Ac-Delco starters for your application was re-manufactured in USA before China and Mexico export their ones here. You never get an USA made factory NEW starter/alternator from dealer or parts store, factory NEW starter/alternator only comes with NEW vehicle.

No difference among USA and China and Mexico made starters. The Remy or Ac-Delco starter you buy could be made/rebuilt in China or Mexico.

Go to rockauto.com and get a China or Mexico made new starter, cheap. Why pay big over-head for special logo?

If you can replace engine, you should be able to rebuild the starter, get a new solenoid, clean the starter internal parts, repack the grease and the starter is good to crank another 100K miles.

If you have difficulty to get a new solenoid, please PM me.

Well, I ordered the Remy starter from Rock Auto last Thursday, received it on Friday, put it in yesterday, works GREAT!

They sure don't leave much access room to get to the solenoids wire bolts nor to get the starter out, what a PITA!

The Remy starter is definitely new, made in Mexico. Hope I don't have to do this again for another 127k miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monicapapo