11 Codes! SES Light was blown? Ran fine yesterday.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaybone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have no luck.... Truck was running great so i figured to get the exhaust leaks fixed....

Now i have pending codes for all 4 o2 sensors (No Activity)
Bank 1 too lean
Bank 2 too lean
Misfire codes...
also a P0134

there were 11 codes in total.....

Heres the kicker... the truck was at an exhaust shop for 2 days to get some litle work done... when i got the truck back there was no SES light on.. i pulled the cluster and the bulb was blown....

Also in my scanner the catylist monitor was inc.... So did the exhaust shop try to clear the codes? Was the bulb out for awhile? Did they blow it b/c the codes wont clear?

This really sucks, its popping, smells like rotten eggs, surging.... wtf??

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what work was done to the exhaust?
I've seen welding done and fry the computer if key was left on...also pop fuses....

OP
OP
J

jaybone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just cat back.... muffler with dual exiting tips....

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is, did they use a "arc welder", to do the work on your exhaust?

Arc welders have been known to do damage to electronic equipment on vehicles. Especially if the ground cable is in the wrong place and not well connected..........

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bank 1 too lean, Bank 2 too lean, usually involves one or more sendors in the motor. I'm new here, so there is no way for me to diagnose your problem without knowing the year, make model and engine.

In some models, it involves the coolant temperature sensor.

In other models, it might be a mass air flow sensor or a MAP sensor or a throttle position sensor. It just all depends.

Usually when one sensor is bad, the problems in the codes will snow ball and the longer you drive it, the more codes it will throw.

My suggestion would be for you to clear all the codes and drive it again and see which codes it throws first.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so let’s review the chain of events.

Your truck was running great, you decided to have some exhaust work done and immediately after the exhaust work is completed, it runs like crap.

The codes are showing O2 sensor problems. We are guessing that an Arc Welder was hooked to the exhaust system and possibly did some damage to the O2 sensors that are also coincidently screwed into the exhaust system and hooked to the ECM.

You might as well believe the codes you are reading, since the evidence is pointing in that direction.

Maybe the shop disconnected the sensors to protect them while welding and forgot to hook them up again. If nothing else, try replacing a couple of the O2 sensors and see if it cures that part of the problem.

The check engine light was probably burnt out B4 this issue and was only noticed, when you were looking for codes.

Any other details you want to share about how things are going??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968