12v outlets always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd want to tap off something that's retained power if I was going the relay way. that way it was on and off with the radio. this seems to. be mostly for phone charging and Bluetooth devices. I know if there's an under hood source for that. might just be eaiser to pull the radio and wire it all down there.

YukCCR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a bluetooth adapter connected to my Aux jack. I would like it to go off, so that my Audible audiobooks dont keep playing silently as I walk away from the car... that has happened.

I had a bluetooth head unit in the old car, and I will be swapping to a newer head unit on this tahoe eventually... But I also like the idea of my magsafe mount not being powered up all the time, and i am way to forgetful to remember to unplug it each time. I would also use that key switched circuit to power my dash cam, I had one in the old car which used a capacitor instead of a LION batt. it was on switched power and just came on when i started the car.

There are sometimes stretches of 3 or 4 days where i work from home, and never go out and start the car. I dont want my accessories to be the reason why my battery is dead. that has totally happened to me in the not-so-distant past

somebody farther up the thread linked a power adapter that has a RAP circuit, and a battery power circuit. That combined with a simple relay would totally solve the problem. I just need to get it done.
Same thing for me. powered usb FM/Bluetooth adapter, charger for my flashlight, powered phone cradle all stay on unless I pull them from the outlets. I don't use the truck very often so it's not a big deal, but I'd like them switched by the ignition. I'll be ordering the fuse taps as suggested by @j91z28d1. Another useful thread, thanks!

hillstrubl

Reaction score
I'd want to tap off something that's retained power if I was going the relay way. that way it was on and off with the radio. this seems to. be mostly for phone charging and Bluetooth devices. I know if there's an under hood source for that. might just be eaiser to pull the radio and wire it all down there.
I added said relay in my previous drawing, using the radio switched power as the trigger. Using a multimeter there is almost no additional load on the radio wiring and it works perfect. The relay uses the existing Cig lighter circuit (and fuse) for its constant power so the car side is unchanged as well.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added said relay in my previous drawing, using the radio switched power as the trigger. Using a multimeter there is almost no additional load on the radio wiring and it works perfect. The relay uses the existing Cig lighter circuit (and fuse) for its constant power so the car side is unchanged as well.

nice, can you share what wire you used? color and plug?

hillstrubl

Reaction score
nice, can you share what wire you used? color and plug?
I tapped into Red (switched) radio power to feed the trigger for pin 86 on the relay (switch triggered). Then I used the existing power wire for the cig lighter to pin 30 (so its still on the same circuit/fuse), then pin 87 goes to the actual + at the cig socket (now a USB-C port), then ground appropriately at both the relay and USB-C pins.

1727880325885.png