14 bolt rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surf_spi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have found a junk yard with a good number of chevy trucks. I will be going shopping for a 14 bolt 6 lug to swap into my 99 Tahoe 4X4. Any tips on what to look for to find a good quality rear end?

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found a junk yard with a good number of chevy trucks. I will be going shopping for a 14 bolt 6 lug to swap into my 99 Tahoe 4X4. Any tips on what to look for to find a good quality rear end?

Pull cover off and check how the ring and pinion look. Look for any signs of excessive wear on internal parts.

Intentions for this? Are you planning on a complete rebuild just swapping it in? What's your set up now (tire size, driving habbits, off or on road?)

OP
OP
S

surf_spi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on rebuilding it. Currently my tahoe is factory Z71 with the D80. I want to go up to a 33in tire with a mild lift. The truck will be 70/30 daily driver and weekend off road rig. I also do a little towing with it.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Meant G80 not D80.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on getting one to rebuild it doesn't really matter what the insides look like as long as the carrier isn't grenaded ...

WhiteWarWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a corp. 14 that I will be putting under my kon in the spring. Does anyone know of a good rear disc brake conversion? or is there a good write up on this being done?

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I can help here as I'm doing this right now.

the 14bsf came in two widths...the 4x4 model is the one that will fit under your truck...the 2x4 is a few inches narrower. I highly recommend you rebuild this right (invest a little $$) and also choose a selectable locker (ARB, E-Eaton) or limited slip (Truc Trac).

After tons of research, I chose the Tru Trac. If this thing will see dd duties, I highly recommend the Tru Trac (to lock up both tires, simply apply light brake pressure) b/c an auto locker IMHO is not right for a dd.

When rebuilding, I HIGHLY recommend a Timken Overhaul Kit. Check out "Complete Off Road" on Pirate4x4.com. Call them and speak with Andy b/c he will give you prices noone else can touch.

Also, make sure to match the gears in your rear to what you have in your transfer case. The code for your transfer case is in the glovebox...you will see a bunch of letters and numbers on a white sticker (now decode)

Here is a list of what you will need:
YKGM9.5-A: Yukon Master Overhaul kit for '79-'97 GM 9.5"
YGGM9.5-373 Yukon R&P (this the premium with 373 gears)
TT914A538 TrueTrac GM9.5 33 spline
Redline 75W90 (x3
YSPCS-016 GM9.5 Crush Sleeve
YSPPN-018 GM9.5 Pinion Nut
YSPPN-033 GM9.5 Pinion Nut Washer

To complete, you will need a U joint conversion. The 14bsf will have 1350, but you will need to see what is on your drive shaft and then buy the conversion u-joint. Also, if you can find the driveshaft that came with that new rear and it's straight, now you have a hd drive shaft too :)

For the rear disc conversion, i recommend messaging GUBNI on Pirate4x4. You can get the rear conversion with parking brake for a few bucks over $500. W/o parking brake is around $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968