16" Wheels rubbing rear calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some 16" OEM steel wheels I was thinking about putting on the Tahoe. They rub the rear calipers. My Tahoe has the Z71 option with 17" wheels.
Did Tahoe come with a rear disc brake and 16" wheel option ? If so, could those calipers be used on my Z71 Tahoe?

Just seeing if I have any (safe & affordable) options... Thanks.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They came with 16" rims on the spare tires from the factory.

Here is the order code from my 04 Z71 Tahoe...
ZGC TIRE SPARE - P265/75R16-114S BW R/PE ST TL AT

If they rub the rear calipers, chances are the calipers were replaced with something slightly different than the original stock caliper.

I traded 20" rims for some a guy had on an old Silverado. They were stock Chevy 16" alloys. They fit fine on mine. No rubbing.

OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

I have the same spare tire code: ZGC. (16" Spare) But what is under the rig is a 17" rim and tire.
But the point is not lost on me that if it came with a 16" spare, then it should clear the factory brake calipers... ?
And I chased down the brake code: JH2 Brake Hyd. Power, Disc/Disc, 7200 lbs. My rig is set up with the towing package.

Now if I could just find out dimensions of the different calipers? And would they fit my existing rotors?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same brake code as mine...
JH2 BRAKE - HYD POWER, DISC/DISC, 7,200 LBS

I just replaced my rear calipers a recently. Stock replacements.
I used NAPA Total Eclipse calipers Part numbers CAL SE5316A & CAL SE5315A

These were the rear rotors and pads I put on.

The fact that yours is rubbing between the caliper and the inside of the wheel, would lead me to believe the calipers (and possibly caliper brackets, too) may have been replaced with non-stock replacement. Maybe someone wanted bigger and better, choosing later model calipers. The bigger calipers fi 17-20 rims fine, but not 16.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the part #'s and links. Appreciated !

The brackets for the calipers were what was rubbing on mine. I took some pictures and measurements to compare and hopefully help identify what I have,

The wheels I'm trying to use are from a 2000 Escalade. They are chrome plated aluminum or alloy.
Maybe they're thicker than steel wheels, thus rubbing on the brake caliper bracket ?
I looked it up and the Escalade had 11" rear rotors in 2000, smaller than the 13" ones on the Tahoe.

The mystery continues... (smile)

OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never too old to learn something new... I really thought these wheels would fit, since they came as factory option
on Escalades (albeit earlier models). Today I compared them to my K2500 (16") wheels and saw that they tapered
into a narrower diameter the closer to the mounting plate you got. (see photo) It goes shiny, less shiny, shiny.
The less shiny area is the taper down area. Almost an inch difference than the K2500 wheel.

Will see if I can sell these (with brand new tires in them) for not too much of a loss and move on...

Attachments

• 20220403_124611.jpg
    20220403_124611.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 4

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 2000 Escalade may have come with 11" drums on the back...

This is the first thing that pops up for parts:

That would explain the taper on the Esky wheels.
I also see mention of "disc brake conversion" articles for 2000 model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mulewhisperer