1k RPM clatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this old thread back to life for a minute, for an update.

Been driving the Tahoe for 7k more miles since this post. Oil changes on schedule. Clattering never changed, until today.

Went for an oil change, ran the same Mobile 1 5-30 as always, and about 30 minutes after oil change, the (what I assume is lifter noise?) got LOUD.

To the point that with AC on and radio turned low, you can still hear it while slowing down as soon as the rpm range gets near 1200-1000. Once you get out of that range, it's gone again.

I checked the oil and it is slightly above the full mark. Not sure if that makes any difference, but it is definitely not low. Oil pressure runs same as it always has since I have owned it, 35-40 at idle, 55-63 at highway speeds.

I was just brushing the clattering noise off as normal, with the high mileage and the usual noise the 5.3's have, but something seems to have definitely changed suddenly. If they put a different oil or something, that would make sense, but everything is the same.

Ideas of why this would suddenly get way worse after oil change?
Can you upload a video on YT and post the link? Move your camera across the engine bay slowly to get a different perspective, or where you think the noise is coming from. Then you can get some guesses from the guys here.

Trying to describe mechanical noises with words is very challenging, actually. A video with sound is worth a thousand words.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Can you upload a video on YT and post the link? Move your camera across the engine bay slowly to get a different perspective, or where you think the noise is coming from. Then you can get some guesses from the guys here.

Trying to describe mechanical noises with words is very challenging, actually. A video with sound is worth a thousand words.
I'll be over at my parents house this evening, I'll get one of them to hold the rpm while I listen, and try to make a video as well.
Since I'm by myself I haven't really had an opportunity to listen to it very good while somebody works the RPM's. Maybe I can get something posted here this evening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GourmetRealtor