2 weeks in - initial impressions 2012 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

veniculum

Reaction score
Hey guys...so I've had my new Yukon for about two weeks now...and being that I had my previous truck (05 Armada) for so long, I've been doing a lot of comparisons (and getting used to some of the differences in the process). Obviously, having a new vehicle is always nice. And getting compliments from random people is nice too. Still...my old truck was like an old friend. Everything was where I was used to it...It was very comfortable, and I enjoyed it while I had it. Don't get me wrong...it was certainly not a perfect vehicle...if it was, I wouldn't be driving a new truck now.

Anyway...let me give me give my first impressions after being an owner for 2 weeks and 600 miles:
First and foremost...with the big chrome 20" wheels, and the carbon metallic black paint..this truck is a looker. It's been begging me to throw some goodies at it. I did the chrome grille and mud guards. I also did the side wind deflectors, and will be doing chrome mirror covers, exhaust tip, bug shield, and possibly the chrome running boards (boards are coming a little later). The vehicle drives beautiful. Handles very nice, and has a great ride. It's absolutely a smoother ride than my Armada...it glides over the road much more like a car than my Armada did...and I thought my Armada felt like a car! It's also better with it's fuel mileage...marginally. Nothing drastic...it's still a gas guzzler...but it's a little better than before. The interior is MUCH nicer than my Armada...but I did pay for it...after all, I had an SE with cloth and not too many extras. With my Yukon, I've got just about everything...except navigation and a sun roof. Both of which, I don't think I would use much anyway. So, I would say that my overall impressions are positive.

That said...I do have to address some of the shortcomings as well. First...it's not quite as powerful as my Armada was...but I don't mind...it's only got a little less kick...not enough to be bothered by it. The third row seats don't fold down flat either...but that doesn't really bother me either...they're just going to come out anyway...so no big deal. And I'm also a little disappointed by the DIC when comparing to some of the newer systems out there (after seeing a recent Ford F250, I got a little jealous). Once again...not that big a deal. So the LCD screen in the Ford was a little nicer. The things that do bother me a little are the following: The window controls on my old vehicle used to be up right next to the side window itself. This actually created a bit of a platform that I could rest my arm on. The Yukon doesn't have this built-in arm rest...only the armrest on the door down a little lower. The only time I can rest my arm on the top of the door is when the window is down. This is a bit disappointing. The other thing that I'm having a hard time getting used to is that big open space to the left of the brake pedal. In most of my more recent vehicles, there has been some kind of foot rest or block there, that I could rest my left foot on, or use for support. This car has nothing there. I find myself using that little small spot where the hood latch is. Eventually, I'm going to break off the hood latch altogether with my foot :( I was wondering...do any of you miss something like this? And if so, has anyone ever fashioned something that could be fitted into that spot so that it won't interfere with the brakes, but can provide a rest for your foot. At first, I didn't think I would miss this (similar to the arm rest on the door)...but I actually do.
Finally (and I've mentioned this in another thread)...the engine runs rough at idle. This definitely concerns me. A brand new car...especially one with a V8 engine....should run smooth as butter. I don't know why this engine seems to miss ever couple of seconds. It runs fine when I'm driving. But when at idle...or when stopped at a light, the roughness of this engine is a bit disconcerting. My Nissan's VQ engine was MUCH smoother...to the point that you didn't even know it was running. Not sure why this car is any different. Are the American V8s that much different (it's been a while since I've had one). I have heard from more than one person now that GM does something with their engines for the first 1-2K miles....some kind of protection during break in...the engines are tuned/programmed differently during this time. Is there any truth to this?

So that's my review. Overall, I realy dig the new ride. If I could change/fix anything, mostly it would just be the big open space in the foot well, left of the brake pedal, and I'd like to get this engine smoothed out...or at least get some confirmation that this is completely normal for these vehicles.

Thanks for taking the time to read my comments. I certainly would appreciate any replies/suggestions/opinions, etc.

Thanks guys!

Todd

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good points. When I got my previous Tahoe I came out of a Range Rover so the shaky engine at idle was very prominent. It may be the motor mounts, more than the engine missing. I'm now on my 3rd Tahoe (2011) and it doesn't bother me but I do recall thinking about it back in the day.

The 3rd row seating is a joke but the alternative is losing the solid rear axle which means a complete redesign and possible effect on towing. I leave my 3rd row out most of the time meaning I drive a 5,800 lbs 4 seater!

If it makes you feel any better, for 16 days in between my 2008 Tahoe and my 2011 Tahoe, I made the very expensive mistake of buying a new Lexus GX 460..smoothest truck you could ever want...but I missed the Tahoe immediately and paid a high price to get back into one.

Good luck with yours.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I also agree on your points.
To get more power out of it I suggest you get a BlackBear tune. Me, and many others on here have it and have seen dramatic power increases. Mine ran $200 two years ago. I also agree on the third row in these cars being excessively small. Only 2-3 kids under 10 years old can be comfortable back there.

As for the footrest issue, I'm pretty sure you will get use to it.

OP
OP
V

veniculum

Reaction score
Good points. When I got my previous Tahoe I came out of a Range Rover so the shaky engine at idle was very prominent. It may be the motor mounts, more than the engine missing. I'm now on my 3rd Tahoe (2011) and it doesn't bother me but I do recall thinking about it back in the day.

The 3rd row seating is a joke but the alternative is losing the solid rear axle which means a complete redesign and possible effect on towing. I leave my 3rd row out most of the time meaning I drive a 5,800 lbs 4 seater!

If it makes you feel any better, for 16 days in between my 2008 Tahoe and my 2011 Tahoe, I made the very expensive mistake of buying a new Lexus GX 460..smoothest truck you could ever want...but I missed the Tahoe immediately and paid a high price to get back into one.

Good luck with yours.

Damn bro...tahoe to lexus back to tahoe...that's uhh...interesting. What made you decide on a lexus? Not that there's anything wrong with them...thats just a different kinda ride...well..maybe not..it's big, right? But I can imagine..if I'm having trouble getting used to the difference between a GM and Nissan V8, I can't imagine the difference between a GM and Lexus...those things are really silent!

So are you saying that your truck has the same rough idle? I'm starting to hear that more and more. Am I to assume this is normal? If it is, I can certainly live with it. I just find it strange...like, why would this be something that GM can't remedy? All the other manufacturers seem to know how to make an engine run fairly smoothly. This thing definitely hops around at idle. I know I'm not imagining it. I've had friends sit in the car and feel it as well.
Anyway...like I said...other than that, I'm generally happy with my decision to buy this truck. I'm kinda psyched to be back in a GM again...it's been a long time.
Thanks for the reply man!

Todd

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a fair and honest review ... part of it is just getting used to a new vehicle (like where to put your arms and feet) that is always an adjustment when changing rides, and part of it can be attributed to having slightly outdated features in a vehicle near the end of its version cycle (like the dic).

Listen, my Denali which came with a $65k sticker in 2010, has windows that rattle when down, outdated nav/dic, no hid projectors, the same useless 3rd row seats, a transmission that's programmed to bog down between shifts, and several other quirks that came with it ... yet this is my second full size GM suv in two years, I love to look at it and drive it, and I'll probably buy another one next time around.

Between my Tahoe and this truck i test drove a RR Sport supercharged, a Sequoia, a QX56, a Lexus GX, an X6, all great trucks in their own right, and despite the refinements and more up to date tech in all those vehicles, I simply preferred driving one of these GM bricks.

Give it a couple of months ... :)

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the first few months of not having a foot rest drove me crazy but I forgot about it untill you just brought it up. Sometimes it idles with a miss and other times it smooth as can be. I had a 2005 titan a few years back and it would walk all over my 07 tahoe at pretty much everything! towing, acceleration, and even handling. My wife wanted the 08 armada with the new interior but I wanted a new style sequia. I ended up buying the tahoe because I got such a good deal on it I could not pass it up. Don't get me wrong I do love my tahoe but it has a lot of quarks the others donot have. From front door weatherstripping that you drag you shoes across and wear out to weahter stripping of the back doors that are exposed to the elements the wheels pick up, to 1950's technology door hinges. I didn't drive buy a gas station the 2 years I had the titan. The tahoe prob averages about 4 mpg better. It's funny how you here about engine problems on this forum quite often. I am a mechanic and I have never had any major problems out of a 5.3. I have seen them with 300,000 miles and still run like new.

OP
OP
V

veniculum

Reaction score
I've only been on this message board a short time, but I do appreciate the honesty here...and I thank you guys for taking the time to read my posts.
It's strange going from one vehicle to another...especially when you've been in one for so long. 7 years is like an eternity in a car. I've never had a car longer than 3 or 4 years before that. Time flies by, I'll tell you that. Seems like I just bought that Armada....and at the time, it was a relatively new design. This, as was mentioned, is an older design. But you know...I'm really fine with that. The newer designs aren't always better. I've learned that numerous times...so no regrets when it comes to things like DIC, or solid rear axles, etc. Matter of fact, there's a good possibility GM may make changes to the new trucks that I may not like. Who knows..I guess we'll see. But I was in the market for a car now...so I made a decision. I didn't shop around too much..mainly because I had done a lot of 'online' shopping in the weeks and months prior. Sure..I was aware that there were newer designs...and that some trucks have more power...some have better nav systems...some better DIC...the list goes on. But at the end of the day, I have to look at it...and I have to drive it. First off...hands down, I think the GMC/Chevy large SUVs are the coolest looking trucks on the market. As far as interiors go...that's a pretty subjective thing...some people like a dash with a million buttons...I, personally, like a more simple design. Sure, it would be nice to have a DIC with a color LCD screen...like my buddy's F250...but that's not a make or break...not by a long shot. If anything...the little 'quibbles' that I describe in my first post are definitely more annoying than the lack of a jazzed up DIC. I've already gotten used to the arm rest thing. The foot rest, on the other hand...that's a little harder. I'm a pretty big dude...so having a place to rest my foot when I'm getting situated...I miss that. I'm almost surprised there isn't anything available in the aftermarket...only because there are so many vehicles that have this. As far as power goes...this truck is plenty powerful enough. And if I'm losing a little horsepower/torque for some better fuel mileage, I'm all in. That Armada was killing me at the pump.
Finally...the rough idle thing...once again...something that I can get used to...but that one, I have a hard time with...because that's a refinement thing. When I'm paying 55K for any vehicle, that's something that I shouldn't have to hear/feel/see. Know what I'm sayin? It's only the oldest small block v8 in existence...you'd think they would be able to tune it so that there was no knocks, rumbles, etc. At the same time, I have no doubt it'll run forever and a day. If the trade off for an engine that is rock solid is a little bit of a rough idle...so be it.

So that's where I'm at. Only a few small complaints. One, could be remedied pretty easily...lets see...maybe I could build a foot rest myself...or better yet...I can't build s**t...anyone wanna build one for me....I'll pay top dollar ;)

Thanks again guys...I'm really enjoying reading your replies!

Todd

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Use carbdboard and duck tape man that's shit works lol

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an aftermarket Dead Padal (foot rest). A little pricey for what it is. I posted some time ago asking if anyone had tried it but no one had. http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=40110&BIG=40110-1

Click on instructions for more pictures and information about how it mounts. I wondered if a heavy duty velcro would work instead on drilling holes in the kick panel. Could be painted to better match the interior too.

Last edited:

gGM Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2008 Tahoe LTZ with the 5.3l engine is very smooth and can hardly hear it. Maybe yours needs to be broken in and also its learning your driving characteristics. It will drive and feel better after a few thousand miles I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian