2 weeks in - initial impressions 2012 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
By the way, maybe you should try a higher grade gas with seafoam in the tank. Normally, rough idles are caused by dirty throttle bodies or a bad MAF sensors.
I am pretty sure you do not have those MAF/TB issues because your Yukon is new.

OP
OP
V

veniculum

Reaction score
Here is an aftermarket Dead Padal (foot rest). A little pricey for what it is. I posted some time ago asking if anyone had tried it but no one had. http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=40110&BIG=40110-1

Click on instructions for more pictures and information about how it mounts. I wondered if a heavy duty velcro would work instead on drilling holes in the kick panel. Could be painted to better match the interior too.

DUDE!!!! Thank You!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. If it needs to be drilled, I'm fine with that..I didn't happen to see what color it is...but if it's black, it will match my interior.
I will have to see if I can find somebody to install it, cause I'll butcher it...I'd even go to the dealer if I have to... But this woul absolutely provide me with a lot of comfort.
Many thanks again. Going to order one tonight

Todd

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn bro...tahoe to lexus back to tahoe...that's uhh...interesting. What made you decide on a lexus? Not that there's anything wrong with them...thats just a different kinda ride...well..maybe not..it's big, right? But I can imagine..if I'm having trouble getting used to the difference between a GM and Nissan V8, I can't imagine the difference between a GM and Lexus...those things are really silent!

It's a long story...I was very happy with my 08 Z71 but was adding up the miles and getting that new car bug. So I'm at the Lexus dealer helping my mother get an RX. Across the showroom floor this GX 460 seduces me. It was everything the Tahoe wasn't....smooth, refined, huge NAV screen, perfect fit/finish....but it just wasn't me. It was an expensive mistake but as soon as I got back in a low tech Tahoe it put a big smile on my face. I told my wife it was similar to being a faithful husband then giving in to temptation one time to some hot young thing....all you want is your prior life back!

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE!!!! Thank You!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. If it needs to be drilled, I'm fine with that..I didn't happen to see what color it is...but if it's black, it will match my interior.
I will have to see if I can find somebody to install it, cause I'll butcher it...I'd even go to the dealer if I have to... But this woul absolutely provide me with a lot of comfort.
Many thanks again. Going to order one tonight

Todd

Yep, My only issue would be and why I wondered if it could be attached with heavy duty velcro was using the floor mat with it. Wouldn't want to cut the mat around it and would want to be able to remove the mat for cleaning. Maybe the mat could be worked out and in even though it does rest on it. Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
V

veniculum

Reaction score
By the way, maybe you should try a higher grade gas with seafoam in the tank. Normally, rough idles are caused by dirty throttle bodies or a bad MAF sensors.
I am pretty sure you do not have those MAF/TB issues because your Yukon is new.

Yeah...tried that...filled it with 93 from completely empty. Didn't make any difference. I'm realistic. I know that the Japanese stuff is...'clinical'...almost too perfect. My last three cars have been Japanese/German...and they are definitely more refined. Does it mean they are more reliable..no..not necessarily. But you do definitely get used to a Nissan VQ motor, for example. That is one nice engine...no matter which version you're running.
I didn't buy a GMC to have a 'Lexus-like' experience. I wanted a truck..a real truck..and this thing really is just about perfect. I just ordered the 'dead pedal' thing. Looked at the install instructions. Looks easy...even for me. This will solve one of my biggest gripes. Which apparently doesn't bother everyone...but it bothered me. Hopefully this will be rugged enough to handle my weight, as I typically use this spot when I'm getting myself into my truck (no...I'm not obese or anything...but I'm not a small guy)...this thing isn't a brick...it's more like a bracket. Here's a closeup:

dead_pedal_Yuk.jpg

Now...if we could get this engine running a little smoother, I'd be about as happy an owner as one could be. Or...as I said..some kind of confirmation that this is normal. I'm getting mixed reviews here. Some say their vehicles do it...others say theirs don't (or at least they don't notice it). So...I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer and having them look at it. I can certainly duplicate it...it happens every few seconds...so..at least no one can accuse me of imagining anything ;)

Anyway...thanks again for the replies and suggestions. Again..you guys have been very helpful!

Todd

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Yep, My only issue would be and why I wondered if it could be attached with heavy duty velcro was using the floor mat with it. Wouldn't want to cut the mat around it and would want to be able to remove the mat for cleaning. Maybe the mat could be worked out and in even though it does rest on it. Let me know how it goes.

It looks like it cuts it close...I have both the stock carpet mat and my own heavy duty rubber mat....I'm glad you mentioned that...It doesn't look like there's any way that both will fit. But to be honest...I'll remove the nice carpet ones, as I never see them anyway. And the rubber ones were meant to be cut anyway. So in the end, it's a non issue.
I'm psyched. I hope this thing works as advertised. This will solve a major problem for me...as ridiculous as this may sound to some folks.
Thanks again man. Yeah..a little pricey..but definitely worth it to me.

Todd

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again..you guys have been very helpful!

We're super awesome!
picture.php

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from an 06 Accord to a Denali. Imagine that change. I still have the Honda. My girlfriend drives it. Sometimes I like to drive it around bc its zippy and fairly quick. It also has a 12 which I miss having. But I love my truck and it would be hard to go back to the Honda. You just need to get adjusted and you won't look back. I never noticed the hard idle. I bought it with 58k miles so maybe it was broken in or maybe I just never noticed. Good luck and keep us updated on any new toys you buy for it. I just got an intake. It makes a big difference and sounds better.

OP
OP
V

veniculum

Reaction score
I went from an 06 Accord to a Denali. Imagine that change. I still have the Honda. My girlfriend drives it. Sometimes I like to drive it around bc its zippy and fairly quick. It also has a 12 which I miss having. But I love my truck and it would be hard to go back to the Honda. You just need to get adjusted and you won't look back. I never noticed the hard idle. I bought it with 58k miles so maybe it was broken in or maybe I just never noticed. Good luck and keep us updated on any new toys you buy for it. I just got an intake. It makes a big difference and sounds better.

yeah...that's a big change. My change hasn't been that drastic. 01 Expedition, 05 Armada, 12 Yukon. There's no question that these things have gotten better over the years. I will admit...the difference between the 01 Expy and the 05 was a much bigger jump than the 05 Armada and 12 Yukon...But that's to be expected...The Expedition was based on a 1997 (I think) model year...which, by 2005, was pretty archaic.
I've already adjusted to most of the changes...and in adjusting to these little changes, I'm actually starting to like what i have now better...and that's saying a lot, cause i was really attached to the old truck.
With the 'deadpedal' thing, my issues with interior/comfort are all but resolved. I'm gonna go over to the dealer this week and have them check this idle thing. Once again...I'm hearing some folks say it's normal, and others say they don't notice it. So it's difficult to make a call based on what I've read here. But that's fine...I'll take it to the guy I bought it from. He's still got a survey that needs filling out ;) And being a guy who once worked for the dealers, I know how important those surveys are!

Todd

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great review. I never had an Armada so never noticed any of that! I do however experience a somewhat rough idle on my escalade with the 6.2L whereas my Avalanche is silent at all times... I thought it was a 6.2L thing but I guess not... I also find the DIC and Nav a bit disappointing considering where Ford has gone with there's but the exterior on GM vehicles is SO much cleaner to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian