20 Yukon Taillight 1 LED out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Noticed on my 2020 Yukon last night that 1 LED was out in the tail light for the brake light. It stayed out when the lights were on and brake was off, as I expected.

From what I've seen, this can be repaired but involves opening the housing and usually sending it to a shop. Fine, I can accept that.

But today, again with lights on brake on and off, the LED was working. This is my first time experiencing this, has anyone else? Im thinking the circuit board is just going bad and it will eventually probably fail. Just asking for any thoughts or ideas before I go and buy a couple hundred light I may not need.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed on my 2020 Yukon last night that 1 LED was out in the tail light for the brake light. It stayed out when the lights were on and brake was off, as I expected.

From what I've seen, this can be repaired but involves opening the housing and usually sending it to a shop. Fine, I can accept that.

But today, again with lights on brake on and off, the LED was working. This is my first time experiencing this, has anyone else? Im thinking the circuit board is just going bad and it will eventually probably fail. Just asking for any thoughts or ideas before I go and buy a couple hundred light I may not need.
the chances of it "fixing" it's self are slim, led's do wierd things they make work and then not work and then work again, go dim, go bright, flicker. or they may just cause havoc on everything else. been using led's for a long long time way before oem started putting them in, they either last almost forever or they don't. could be solder on the board or could be bad led it's a gamble, from what I have read though it's usually the board solder on this gen. i guess they never learned from the obs pickups that would develop bad boards

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You might want to check with a dealer. They had a "special service" campaign for 2015-16 models, IIRC, that they may have expanded to later models. It's worth asking anyway.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen on my 2017 after a car wash. It's a $600 light from GM which was covered under warranty thankfully. There are a few good youtube videos on how to repair them. Basically, there's a small, stamped, wire that feeds all the LEDs. This breaks at a thin spot, and then you're toast. The fix involves some creative entry to the light panel, then a little solder, then seal it back up. There's also guys that rebuild these lights with that fix. Just send them yours as a core and you're g2g

ss4chad

Reaction score
Lot of guys on eBay that will fix your light for $50 bucks, I bought one for my wife's Yuke.
Bought the truck from a dealer in another state and the left tail light was out, so they paid a dealer in my area to replace it.
The GMC Dealer charged $1146.00 to replace it!!!!! Holy Shitbiscuits Batman!!!
It wasn't 4 months later the right one went out so I scoured eBay for a cheap chinese light and found that just as "Doubeleive" & "B-train" said, there is a razor thin copper connection that operates the brake and running lights that breaks but leaves turn signals functioning. WTH?
Luckily, eBay has a bunch of people that cut into the plastic tail light assembly housing, repair that wire and then plastic weld that cover back to the light assy and the problem is solved. Plus they give a lifetime warranty on their work, or at least the one I paid for does!

Just like that one does!
Cheers!

Chad

ss4chad

Reaction score
FYI:
I bought a used left tail light that was beat up (but working) to replace the non working light because I just didn't have $600 bucks to buy a new one. I got it in and installed and THEN I found the repair service! So I left the beat up light in temporarily while they repaired my good tail light.
I bought the repair service on a Thursday and sent it off Friday morning so I didn't get it back until Monday, then I pulled the beat up light and replaced it with my repaired light (that's in pristine shape).
Now I have a working, beat up, left tail light in the box ready to ship if anyone wants to buy it, cheap!

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24