2001 5.3 Hoe looking for power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pk64f100

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a stock 2001 5.3 hoe and want to get some more streetable power and looking for some advice to what direction to go; heads, headers, supercharger??? I do want to keep it street friendly and not spend a huge amount of $. I would say I would be happy with min 50 hp and 75 lbs gains. Anyone have any info for me, I have a KN Cold Air intake and cat back exhaust other than that it is stock. Thanks

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I have a stock 2001 5.3 hoe and want to get some more streetable power and looking for some advice to what direction to go; heads, headers, supercharger??? I do want to keep it street friendly and not spend a huge amount of $. I would say I would be happy with min 50 hp and 75 lbs gains. Anyone have any info for me, I have a KN Cold Air intake and cat back exhaust other than that it is stock. Thanks

Everyone has their own preferences and priorities for mods. I wanted as much power out of my Tahoe without destroying the mileage because it's a daily driver that I load my whole family into - 1 wife, 2 kids, and a third kid on the way. For my purposes I classify mods into two main categories - (1) mods that don't detract from gas mileage and (2) mods that destroy gas mileage.

My first group one consists of headers, true-dual exhaust with free-flowing mufflers & cats. If you really want to go off the deep end (and you know how to turn a wrench) you can swap in a 6-speed manual tranny. I've done everything in this group and I couldn't be happier with how things worked out.

Group two depends upon how much money you want to throw at your ride and how much you care about gas mileage. The really cool thing about NBS and NNBS body styles is that they share drive train with camaros and (to a degree) corvettes...so you can swap in cylinder heads, intakes, cams. The sky's the limit. There have even been people who have swapped in larger 6.0 engines...I can't find the specific thread, but Z-56 Hoe is one of these guys, but I can't find his swap thread anywhere. Of course, if you've got the funds and you really want to go fast then install a supercharger or maybe a turbo or two turbos. I was all set to do a cam swap and install ported heads, but I'm hesitant because of how much it could ruin my gas mileage (and I'm out of money to mod my Tahoe).

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I DDd my 04 5.3 with headers, cam, and supercharger. That thing would scoot, and I ask got good MPGs.

Sent from a jelly bean.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I DDd my 04 5.3 with headers, cam, and supercharger. That thing would scoot, and I ask got good MPGs.

Sent from a jelly bean.

Very cool!

When I'm not abusive on the gas pedal I see about 15 city and 19 hwy...what kind of mileage did your DD supercharger+cam setup get you when you weren't driving it hard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus