2001 Tahoe help with no sound (factory amp removed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benradcliff10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a 2001 Tahoe with onstar but no Bose. The PO installed a cheap dual double din head unit in the car. The head unit worked but I was only getting sound from the rear door speakers and it was super quiet. After about a week, then just cut out completely.

I installed this boss double din unit because I thought something was wrong with the old head unit and I wanted to add CarPlay. I hooked everything up on the new head unit and…nothing. I hooked up the power antenna wire to the pink (amp power) wire as others have suggested. Still nothing. I figured it had to be something. With the amp since I checked the wiring of the head unit multiple times.

Lo and behold the factory amp had been completely removed. The PO installed a amp crossover harness that I believe sends power directly from the head unit to the door speakers. I figured there must be something wrong with the connection. Sure enough, when unplugged it and reconnected it I got sound but only briefly. Briefly as in only when the pins initially make contact. Once it is plugged all the way in it stops playing.

I’m at a loss. What to do next???

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
You might need a different module to plug in back there to bypass the factory amp stuff all together to get the speakers working I had to do it in my 99 but it’s been so long I couldn’t tell you what brand it was back then. It was like 100-150$

OP
OP
B

benradcliff10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m wondering if there needs to be some connection made in the second pigtail that plugs into the factory amp. I just can’t understand why I get a quick sound burst when I ever so slightly plug the crossover in and then it cuts out when any significant pressure is applied.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’m wondering if there needs to be some connection made in the second pigtail that plugs into the factory amp. I just can’t understand why I get a quick sound burst when I ever so slightly plug the crossover in and then it cuts out when any significant pressure is applied.
It’s been awhile since I’ve messed with a 99-06 I’ll have to ask my buddy what he used in his Tahoe. In my 07 Tahoe I had to use a PAC harness to get it to work correctly

In my wife’s car I used a PAC line output converter and tapped into the speaker wires for the factory subwoofer to feel signal to the amp for bass and jumped my amp signal wire to the fuse box so when the key is on it cuts the aftermarket amp on

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you have an amplifier bypass connector, which makes sense, since your original amp is missing. The part that concerns me is that it say 'Bose Infinity' on the packaging, and you stated that your truck did not have a Bose system. Is it possible that you have the wrong amp bypass connector? I'm fairly certain that the interconnection wiring on the Bose and non-Bose systems are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbower11