2001 yukon problems?????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fisheyes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 01 yukon that died while driving down the freeway and wouldn't restart. when you crank it over it starts for 10-15 seconds surges the whole time and then dies. I have changed the fuel filter and have gotten under the vehicle and heard the fuel pump building up pressure but can't seem to figure out why it wont start or when it does stay running. The minute you push on the gas pedal it dies. Anybody have any suggestions?

BubZX

Reaction score
sounds like a weak fuel pump.. u can still hear the pump run but its just not building enuff presure to run when givin it gas. theres a valve up off the fuel rail that u can test the fuel presure if u have a gauge. if not take a screw driver and push it down to see if fuel shoots out or seeps out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fisheyes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks BubZX I'll give that a try, It seems like when ever the vechile is cold it will try to start but as the temp warms up through the day it wont even start for 10-15 sec.
I was leaning toward a fuel pump problem as well it's got 165,000 mi and nothing mechanical has been done other than regular maintenance.

Reaction score
sounds like a weak fuel pump.. u can still hear the pump run but its just not building enuff presure to run when givin it gas. theres a valve up off the fuel rail that u can test the fuel presure if u have a gauge. if not take a screw driver and push it down to see if fuel shoots out or seeps out.

I have to agree, I have seen this alot that the pump still turns on and seems to be building pressure but it is 5-10 pounds off with cause your issue.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me in April. Died driving home from work. Did the exact thing you described and got the CEL, had it towed home. Got up the next day and it started and I went to Autozone to have code read. Turned out to be the Crankshaft position sensor. The part was $50+ and me and a family member replaced it ourselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shughes022

Latest posts