2002 Tahoe Fuel Pump (I hope)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notrosh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone...First post here. Great forum.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here I go....

2002 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 4x4 with 185,000 miles. Love this tahoe..bought it new.

For about the past year (procrastination i know) every once in a while it would take a long time to start. Basically just turn and turn with no ignition (sounded like it wasn't getting any gas) then eventually it would fire up and we would be down the road again.

This morning went out to head to work and tried to start for about 30 min with nothing....same song and dance...just turn and turn with no ignition didn't sound like it was getting any fuel.

My first thought is the fuel pump has gone out, but before I go down the road of dropping the tank, etc, etc. I was hoping it might be something else.

Fuel filter (wishful thinking)
Relay
?
?

As far as maintenance goes the tahoe has been maintained well. timely oil changes, etc.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

-n

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess either fuel preasure regulator or pump...... may not be a bad idea to change the fuel filter also!

Can you hear the pump "wine" at key on? If no..... I think you have your ansewer!

aldrichg9

Reaction score
The relay is a good place to start.
Cheaper than going with the pump first like I did.
But it sounds like the pump has had it.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you havent replaced the fuel pump with the miles you have i can guarantee you thats your problem based on the mileage you have and the symptoms you describe and consider yourself lucky you got that much milage out of it , i'm on my 3rd fuel pump in my 02 z71 and have right at 125,000 miles on the clock. each and everytime i replaced it i had symptoms exactly like yours and a new fuel pump solved the problem every time. also change your fuel filter when replacing the pump. never let your tank run less than 1/4 tank full as the fuel helps cool the pump. the crap fuel we are getting these days are killing the pumps :(

Bennie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like others have said it sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. There is a fuel pressure port on the passenger side fuel rail on top of the engine, you can check for pressure there. If no pressure check the relay first.

A mechanic friend of mine says he changes his fuel filter every year because that is the most common problem that takes out these fuel pumps. I don't drive my Tahoe much so that seems like over kill for me but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it every 2 years tops. It's super cheap and easy to to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat