2002 Tahoe HID wierdness!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From DDM

Thank you for the email.
Unfortunately we have not heard of any issues like yours on any Tahoe installation.
It could be that there is some "cross-talk" with one of the ballasts that may be causing the interference. We did have a customer with a Dodge Durango that would have his windshield wipers turn on when he fired up the HID kit and his issue had been found to be with one of the HID ballasts cross-talking with the circuit which would lead to the wipers turning on.

You can try troubleshooting the issue by turning on the lights with only one of the two ballasts connected to the OEM wiring to see if maybe one specific ballast is causing the issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never been aware as to what lights are supposed to come on a start up.

Can someone list these off? I want to check.

Also, I have two HID kits on my truck. One for my fog lights and one for my low beams.

I had the same low beam kit on a 2000 Tahoe LT.

This kit is now on a 2002 Suburban LT.

The issue I have is the same upon start up almost every time.

I will get one headlight at a a time.

If I apply the parking brake and then start the truck and then release the parking brake I will get both bulbs firing.

Another solution I noticed is to leave the parking brake alone and start the truck. Then click high beams on and click them off, causing the HIDs to re-fire together and ignite.

Also is there a way to get alerts on threads so i can know if someone has replied?

I'm just throwing this stuff out there!

edit:::::

i looked around under thread tools, I found "subscribe to this thread."

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

If you have not modified any of the lighting like Hi4 or auto headlight bypass it should work something like this.

-Daylight with parking brake; you should have no lights when you start until you release parking brake. Then your daytime running lights should come on once you release your parking brake.
-Daylight without parking brake; your daytime running lights should come on when you start.
-At night or garage; your low beams will turn on when you start. (I can't remember if it is off while your parking brake is on)

When you flash your high beam your low beam turns off. So what may be happening when you flash your high beams is your lows are turning off until you switch back causing the lows to re-fire.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was not clear.

I want to know what interior lights come on upon start up, just to compare.

I know what my lows, highs, drls, should be doing.

I was more interested in which interior lights come on or flash for a second or two.

Also, regarding the 4Hi Mod.

When you "click" on your high beams do the low beams stay on during the "click" or do they flash off momentarily?

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes (not every time) the orange fresh/recirculation and sometime rear defroster will all light up. Uou can't toggle back and fourth from fresh/recirculation and can't turn off the rear defroster unless you turn off ignition and back on.

Yes, with Hi4 mod when you click on hi-beams all 4 low/high beams are on.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, do you have a relay for your hids? Seems like both your hids come on only when you try to refire them after the truck started. A relay will fix this.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Strange! I went back and re-checked all the cabling and reseated everything and its now been 2-3 weeks without a problem! (knock on wood!)