2002 Tahoe Hydroboost Upgrade EVO Power Steering Pump question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkestatham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71 and I just performed the 2024 bug brake upgrade and boy what a difference. I am now wanting to convert it to Hydroboost. I have the complete Hydroboost Setup off a 2006 Suburban. The problem I am seeing is the 2002 Power Steering pump had the EVO sensor and the 2006 does not. Will I be ok just swapping Power Steering pumps and disconnecting the EVO? I need the 2006 pump because it has multiple returns for the PS fluid. Do I need to put the EVO bypass on the 2006 Pump or just run the 2006 pump without it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, WOW. Yours HAS EVO? I had heard some of the very early GMT800 had EVO, but actually haven't seen one with it.

EVO was kinda problematic on the earlier generation of trucks... actually it was very problematic. Just don't worry about EVO. Nothing will happen if you unplug it and leave the harness there. You can just tape over the connector with electrical tape if you want.

OP
OP
J

jkestatham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, WOW. Yours HAS EVO? I had heard some of the very early GMT800 had EVO, but actually haven't seen one with it.

EVO was kinda problematic on the earlier generation of trucks... actually it was very problematic. Just don't worry about EVO. Nothing will happen if you unplug it and leave the harness there. You can just tape over the connector with electrical tape if you want.
SO you think putting the 2006 pump on without the bypass and I will be ok? What really sucks is I had the hyrdoboost and everything installed and ended up tearing everything back out and reinstalled the vacuum booster because of the EVO pump. I was under the gun and did nit have time to really research. UGH!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO you think putting the 2006 pump on without the bypass and I will be ok? What really sucks is I had the hyrdoboost and everything installed and ended up tearing everything back out and reinstalled the vacuum booster because of the EVO pump. I was under the gun and did nit have time to really research. UGH!

Yes, that's correct. I can't say 100%, but you shouldn't need the bypass on the 06 pump because that was never optioned with EVO. 06 pump has no idea what EVO even is. It will be a purely hydraulic system w/o any electrical solenoid.

Look at this TSB to get an idea of how that system was supposed to work: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECDcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3Z7sqr75YDD84-laaJ9wLN

Edit: not sure if anything would be triggered by omitting the EVO. On the old generation, they didn't as far as I know. But not sure on this generation TBH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jkestatham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. I can't say 100%, but you shouldn't need the bypass on the 06 pump because that was never optioned with EVO. 06 pump has no idea what EVO even is. It will be a purely hydraulic system w/o any electrical solenoid.

Look at this TSB to get an idea of how that system was supposed to work: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECDcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3Z7sqr75YDD84-laaJ9wLN
Thanks!! I will let you know how it goes. It may be a week or so. It is too freaking hot to be working in the garage.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71 and I just performed the
2024 bug brake upgrade
and boy what a difference.
Not only asking for myself - if I don't know what you're talking about,
lurkers and newbz will go cross-eyed as well.
To be clear, what's a bug brake?

OP
OP
J

jkestatham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not only asking for myself - if I don't know what you're talking about,
lurkers and newbz will go cross-eyed as well.
To be clear, what's a bug brake?
Sorry Typo. Big Brake Upgrade. I put the 2024 Pads Calipers and Rotors off a Silverado on the Tahoe. I can post videos of stopping before and after if anyone is interested.

justirv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry Typo. Big Brake Upgrade. I put the 2024 Pads Calipers and Rotors off a Silverado on the Tahoe. I can post videos of stopping before and after if anyone is interested.
Parts list please! I too have an '02 (Z71) and was looking at the GMT900 brake upgrade, your's sounds very interesting. Thx

OP
OP
J

jkestatham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Parts list please! I too have an '02 (Z71) and was looking at the GMT900 brake upgrade, your's sounds very interesting. Thx
I will get the part numbers this weekend. All my boxes are in the garage. Here is what it looks like. I did have to use 1/2 spacers with the stock 17inch Z71 rims. Here is the video I used for reference. Let me know if you have any questions. I did have to use 2 washers to center the Caliper and grind the ridge of the caliper.. I will post videos of my before and after stopping when I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mxd220

Latest posts