2002 Yukon belt scream

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmccart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the group and have a very aggravating problem. My 2002 Yukon has serious issues with belt scream. My husband has changed every belt, pulley, clutch fan, tensioners.........it shuts up for awhile, and then it starts again. We have used belt dressing.....EVERYTHING!!! If it stops screaming.....all you have to do is run it through the car wash, and it starts again. VERY TIRED OF IT.......please help!!!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be several things. First of all, is it the correct belt? Parts counter guys can sometimes sell you the wrong part. If the belt is too long it cause squealing. And you said he changed every pulley and tensioner? Several of the pulleys are not replaceable unless you change the whole part, like the AC compressor, water pump, and power steering pump. Tell your husband to remove the belts. Then try to spin each pulley by hand. If they do not spin freely, then it should be replaced. Also try to shake it side to side to see if the shaft wobbles or has ANY play in it at all. Its somewhat common for the bearings in the alternator and the water pump to go bad. If either of those has any resistance at all when trying yo spin the pulley, that's the likely culprit of all the squealing.

OP
OP
K

kmccart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. My husband has already tried everything you suggested. Was hopeful that maybe there was something else that we hadn't thought of, cuz we are all out of idea's. Thanks!!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`ve never had to try this method but i know that it has worked for some people.

Take some fine sandpaper and lightly sand the surface of the pulleys. From what i hear the paint on the pulley is the culprit of the squealing, When the belt gets wet it slips and squeals. If there is no paint on them anymore the pulley surface may have become smoothed out over time and have less grip. scuffing up the surface may help. Good luck.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also post up what brand of belt he is currently using! If he hasn't tried one already, I'd recommend a Gates brand belt, they are awesome!!

Also you say he changed out all the pulleys, so since he probably changed the alternator pulley have him measure the diameter of that one!! Every time I would change out my stock alt pulley for an overdrive sized one (smaller), my belt would make noise so maybe he got a smaller than stock one!

OP
OP
K

kmccart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once again...thanks for all the great suggestions. We have always run Gates belts, and putting another new one on shut it up again. lol It's ridiculous that you can't run this truck through the car wash without buying a new belt to shut up the screams.......we will definately try the sanding of the pulleys if we have this problem again! (I'm thinking handwashing is in order! :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate