2004 instruments making me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish getting my 04 Yukon SLE 2wd finished so I can sell it. I've replaced a few of the gauge stepper motors and then needed to fix the voltage. I got that fixed and then the gas gauge and tach went to crap, how does that happen when they were just fine? I ordered a few more stepper motors and got the tach working but now the gas gauge seems erratic and you can see it adjust each time it starts but doesn't seem to move when I put a few gallons in the tank. Now the coolant gauge starts to go around in a circle and wonder, WTF? It was working...

I found a good board at a pick-n-pull that was a reman, I plugged it in and it worked perfect! But... the mileage is off and I likely need to get it to match my VIN and ECM. I need to stop f'ing around and I just want to get it done and working so I can sell it, or else I'll get beat up on my asking price.

What can I do to get the re-mfg'd board working and match my vehicle?

Thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which stepper motors (part numbers) are being installed?

When you have the cluster apart, is the circuit board surface getting a good cleaning? Look up "silver migration" for Chevy clusters; that might be causing some of the issue.

OP
OP
Gnarley

Gnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which stepper motors (part numbers) are being installed?

When you have the cluster apart, is the circuit board surface getting a good cleaning? Look up "silver migration" for Chevy clusters; that might be causing some of the issue.
I could look at that, but I'd rather just get this other board installed with my vehicle info if possible, everything on it seems to work as expected. This would speed up getting the cluster working properly without spending more time figuring out what is going on with the original.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Without doing the work to figure out how to program the cluster (there are people on here who have detailed the necessary electronic equipment and process), a good cluster repair shop will be able to program your mileage into another cluster. However, you might compare the cost of that service to the cost of having yours rebuilt by the shop, with some kind of warranty.

There seem to be quite a few local places that do the programming; check FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. As usual, look at the reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbower11

Latest posts