2004 Yukon problem with lower ball joint what is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yobenny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey fellas I sure could use some help with this ball joint. Bought this nice 04 and changing out the front end, but this lower ball joint has me stumped. I can't figure out which way to press it out.
I can't figure out what it is or how to get it out.
Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Ben

free image uploading

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You grind the top lip off, then press the joint out from the top using a c clamp and ball joint adapter kit, or air hammer it out. Still recommend using a ball joint adapter kit when installing

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
I used a chisel to knock those 4 swaged lips toward the center then press them out downward.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Just grind the flats to where they are round and then take a nice weight ball-peen hammer (using the ball-peen end on the last swing) and give it a few man sized blows to the cone shaped area (accuracy is key). I've got it dialed in that I can get them out with 3 good blows. No air-hammer needed. They pop right out.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across these things this weekend when I changed my ball joints. I don't know what kind of sick joke GM was going for, but I wasn't impressed... I finally ground the 4 tabs off and was able to knock it out with 3 blows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
night3000