2005 Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WayneW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So a year or two ago I replaced the shocks on my 2005 with ZW7/G65. I used KYB SR2003 to replace the Nivomats in the rear, and KYB KG5040's in the front. My understanding is they are direct replacements in the rear for the Nivomats without having to swap out the springs. Fast forward to now and the vehicle rides like garbage. I can feel each bump in the road, and I am now questioning whether the springs did need to be changed out as well. Any one use these KYB's with success on the PSR suspension?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 24 years it might be time for some new rubber bushings. Body mount cushions for one. Certain tires can wear and ruin the ride too.

OP
OP
W

WayneW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After 24 years it might be time for some new rubber bushings. Body mount cushions for one. Certain tires can wear and ruin the ride too.
I did rebuild the suspension at the time of changing the shocks, and they tires are only 6 months or so old. I will do an inspection though. Are KYB's known to be junk? I didn't get the econo ones, so hoping they aren't bad

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those rears look correct and would not require a spring change. Literature I'm seeing says the fronts you got are stiffer/firmer than OEM. I ran Bilstein 5100's up front for a while and it was definitely a less smooth ride. Now I have KYB 341343 and it's just ok - some folks say they're crap. Might go to Bilstein 4600.

Last month, I put some Monroe Nivomats on and it drives so much better - OEM were done. Didn't change springs.

OP
OP
W

WayneW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
almost seems like the front is the issue and the rears are fine after driving it yesterday and paying closer attention. At least those are the cheaper ones to replace! I will see what Bilstein has to offer.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're interested in keeping the front ride height at stock, the 4600 is what you want.

I have the OE ZW7 package with G65 shock/spring combo for the rear, and have replaced the fronts with KYB KG5040s, which maintains the Premium Smooth Ride.

OP
OP
W

WayneW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you're interested in keeping the front ride height at stock, the 4600 is what you want.

I have the OE ZW7 package with G65 shock/spring combo for the rear, and have replaced the fronts with KYB KG5040s, which maintains the Premium Smooth Ride.
Thanks, I will start shopping for 4600's. For some reason, the KYB 5040's never felt right

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After many weeks to research a complicated issue..... rear shocks.....

I have ZW7 premium smooth ride, no Nivomats. I don't have the added RPO #'s G65 or G69.
So, my rears are the 'premium shocks.
Now.... I am trying to confirm the CORRECT premium shock... I might get the GM replacement.

It seems other aftermarket versions are...... not similar to the quality ride I am looking for..

EVERYONE HAS AN opinion..... Sellers have their suggestion.....
( One shock seller considers the Nivomat shock performance as an antique..... He says no one buys them anymore. They sell the best shock..... YEA RIGHT.... They all say that....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pknewcombe83