2005 Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shock Warehouse : It looks like their VERSION of the SUGGESTED / CORRECT rear shock?
In other words, they don't have anything in stock for a "premium smooth ride". ( Funny.... they have " no reviews " for this specific shock..... I wonder why......
Note the highlighted words"
" heavy duty - rough road" and " SCORE & NASCAR competition.....
I drive on SMOOTH roads..... Seems their shock will feel like concrete??

I want a 'firm' and smooth ride...... Anyone have any luck finding a set that keeps the truck comfortable??

Attachments

• 20240627_090455~2.jpg
    20240627_090455~2.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240627_090323~2.jpg
    20240627_090323~2.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240627_090259.jpg
    20240627_090259.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Shock Warehouse : It looks like their VERSION of the SUGGESTED / CORRECT rear shock?
In other words, they don't have anything in stock for a "premium smooth ride". ( Funny.... they have " no reviews " for this specific shock..... I wonder why......
Note the highlighted words"
" heavy duty - rough road" and " SCORE & NASCAR competition.....
I drive on SMOOTH roads..... Seems their shock will feel like concrete??

I want a 'firm' and smooth ride...... Anyone have any luck finding a set that keeps the truck comfortable??
I bought a set of shocks to replace my original Nivomats from these guys. There was nothing wrong with them, just wanted something different. This was before I was familiar with my 03. I talked to the guy and told him what I had, he suggested kyb excel shocks--a direct replacement lol. He said I didn't need to replace my stock rear springs--wrong. On the highway the rear would sway side to side. Scary AF!. I called him back and told him my issue, and I reminded him what he said about the excel being a direct replacement shock. He got really nasty and said "For what you paid, what do you expect?". So just make sure you do your own research before buying from them.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of shocks to replace my original Nivomats from these guys. There was nothing wrong with them, just wanted something different. This was before I was familiar with my 03. I talked to the guy and told him what I had, he suggested kyb excel shocks--a direct replacement lol. He said I didn't need to replace my stock rear springs--wrong. On the highway the rear would sway side to side. Scary AF!. I called him back and told him my issue, and I reminded him what he said about the excel being a direct replacement shock. He got really nasty and said "For what you paid, what do you expect?". So just make sure you do your own research before buying from them.
I agree...... The guy told me the Nivomats are an old antique design, and are not like new technology. I later said, " Ok..... so tell me what shock I would buy, and keep my springs.
He never responded.
Maybe I'll go ahead and buy the factory installed shocks. My current original shocks seem fine, but with 175,000 miles, a new set should be the smartest purchase?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I agree...... The guy told me the Nivomats are an old antique design, and are not like new technology. I later said, " Ok..... so tell me what shock I would buy, and keep my springs.
He never responded.
Maybe I'll go ahead and buy the factory installed shocks. My current original shocks seem fine, but with 175,000 miles, a new set should be the smartest purchase?
When I replaced mine they had around 250k and they still worked great.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced mine they had around 250k and they still worked great.
Nivomats or the ZW7 premium shocks worked fine....?.. ( just trying to keep my brain matter organized ) My Yukon rides nice and smooth, and pretty nice over bumps. Lately, when I run over little bumps, at medium speed, I do feel it, probably due to the age of the shocks?..... I don't want to loose that Cadillac feel....

(I Apologize .. Difficult to nail down the best replacement shocks... I have gotten so many different answers.... ( From what, I thought was going to be a simple answer)

But from what you suggest... I think I'm getting the ACDelco factory replacements, same as what's on it now.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nivomats or the ZW7 premium shocks worked fine....?.. ( just trying to keep my brain matter organized ) My Yukon rides nice and smooth, and pretty nice over bumps. Lately, when I run over little bumps, at medium speed, I do feel it, probably due to the age of the shocks?..... I don't want to loose that Cadillac feel....

(I Apologize .. Difficult to nail down the best replacement shocks... I have gotten so many different answers.... ( From what, I thought was going to be a simple answer)

But from what you suggest... I think I'm getting the ACDelco factory replacements, same as what's on it now.
They were Nivomats. It had the rpo ZW7.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were Nivomats. It had the rpo ZW7.
ZW7 is 'premium smooth ride'... But Nivomats option requires also the RPO code, either G65 or G69.
If not the G codes you get, what I have, the 'premium shocks'.

Nivomats code is the added 'G' RPOs...... ZW7 has 3 or more options. It took research to decipher all the opinions.
( Now you understand, how I was confused when shopping )

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
ZW7 is 'premium smooth ride'... But Nivomats option requires also the RPO code, either G65 or G69.
If not the G codes you get, what I have, the 'premium shocks'.

Nivomats code is the added 'G' RPOs...... ZW7 has 3 or more options. It took research to decipher all the opinions.
( Now you understand, how I was confused when shopping )
I probably do have those other codes. I haven’t looked at my codes in years. Mine definitely had the Nivomat shocks. I had a pic of them.
EDIT--Found the pic.IMAG1301001_1541794293795_417238532049062.jpgIMAG1300_417276151573631.jpg

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the Nivomats I got a couple weeks ago..... I wonder if it is worth getting the matching springs, to use them? If not, I can return them.
Beside the 'self-leveling' aspect. What makes them better than a quality replacement standard style shock, for my factory-installed, regular nice shocks..... ?

THAT answer has eluded me so far, when I ask .... I have no plans to tow a boat...

Attachments

• NIVOMAT shocks.jpg
    NIVOMAT shocks.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
These are the Nivomats I got a couple weeks ago..... I wonder if it is worth getting the matching springs, to use them? If not, I can return them.
Beside the 'self-leveling' aspect. What makes them better than a quality replacement standard style shock, for my factory-installed, regular nice shocks..... ?

THAT answer has eluded me so far, when I ask .... I have no plans to tow a boat...
Not really sure. They do make a nice ride tho. In the pic I put the kyb next to the Nivomat. Guy said they were a direct reply. Look at the size difference. Guy was an A**hole. Just trying to make a sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabastian458