2005 XL Rust Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05dnlxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an 05 Denali XL from the North East. Low miles great drivetrain, but it's rusty. I think it has quite a bit of life left drivetrain wise, but body wise I'm not sure what to do. It's not worth a whole lot so I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I've done quite a bit of body work but am an amateur and while I have dabbled in welding, it's not something I would attempt on this.

Has rust in both rockers left lower front and rear quarter and wheel opening. It's been repaired before, I'm not sure what was done, but I do know the left lower rear quarter is pretty much gone from the rear of the wheel opening to the bumper and inner section up to the body plugs.

The right way to do it would be to cut out all the areas and section in new metal. Not something I can do myself and I can't imagine now what that would cost to have a body shop do it, especially where I live I think they would probably throw up their hands as this kind of rust isn't seen much around this area.

Truck is now in the South so I'm not concerned with it being exposed to what it has been for the last ~20 years. I'm thinking about filling in the big gaps with foam then using fiberglass and filler over that. Does this seem like a decent approach or what should I consider doing instead?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look down south for the same model and start with good bones. Rust is a never ending PITA

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an option, as long as the drivetrain will come out without needing a lot of parts due to rust.

But, in theory, a good clean body with all the plumbing attached would mate up really nice to an engine and trans. It would be a lot less stress than fixing rust.......forever. And much less time too

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These vehicles are cheap enough. I wouldn't bother sticking lots of money into rust repair, you'll quickly exceed the price you could just buy another one for.

Kjswenson60

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an 05 Denali XL from the North East. Low miles great drivetrain, but it's rusty. I think it has quite a bit of life left drivetrain wise, but body wise I'm not sure what to do. It's not worth a whole lot so I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I've done quite a bit of body work but am an amateur and while I have dabbled in welding, it's not something I would attempt on this.

Has rust in both rockers left lower front and rear quarter and wheel opening. It's been repaired before, I'm not sure what was done, but I do know the left lower rear quarter is pretty much gone from the rear of the wheel opening to the bumper and inner section up to the body plugs.

The right way to do it would be to cut out all the areas and section in new metal. Not something I can do myself and I can't imagine now what that would cost to have a body shop do it, especially where I live I think they would probably throw up their hands as this kind of rust isn't seen much around this area.

Truck is now in the South so I'm not concerned with it being exposed to what it has been for the last ~20 years. I'm thinking about filling in the big gaps with foam then using fiberglass and filler over that. Does this seem like a decent approach or what should I consider doing instead?
You stated truck is now in the south. Where is south? I am from northern Minnesota and go to Texas for the winter months. I drove into Progresso Mexico and found a body shop. I had rust in the dog leg and behind both rear wheels. It was rut through holes. That body shop cut out rust welded in new metal and painted those spots. It cost me $200 I will say the paint wasn’t perfect but it looks better than holes. I am going back this winter because the rockers are starting to rust through. Again I know It will not be perfect, but it is a 03 Tahoe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian