2005 Yukon XL 5.3 Code P0496

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
P0496..... my little code checker displayed this, also.....
EVAP system " High Purge Flow "..... Looking online, it is on my intake... Is the tube, connected, run to my rear fuel vent system? Maybe that's a partial cause, when I fuel up, the gas shuts off at the gun? Is that the tube I might try to blow out filter material?
I'm getting a new purge valve and replace it. ( Fortunately, it is easy to get to )

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The evap purge line goes down to the charcoal canister. If you go to blow out that line, first disconnect it at the canister. That will help you determine if any charcoal bits were in the line, and will give you a chance to inspect the canister for loose charcoal.

The purge valve itself can be tested by removing it and attempting to blow through it. Apply 12vDC to the terminals and it should open; with no voltage applied it should be sealed. They can be intermittent so if you test like this be sure to cycle it multiple times. And be sure the o-ring on the bottom of the valve is in good condition.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The evap purge line goes down to the charcoal canister. If you go to blow out that line, first disconnect it at the canister. That will help you determine if any charcoal bits were in the line, and will give you a chance to inspect the canister for loose charcoal.

The purge valve itself can be tested by removing it and attempting to blow through it. Apply 12vDC to the terminals and it should open; with no voltage applied it should be sealed. They can be intermittent so if you test like this be sure to cycle it multiple times. And be sure the o-ring on the bottom of the valve is in good condition.
I read that description..... Plus... The purge valve, does not effect the gas pump- filling problem... When the truck is turned off, that valve is closed... I suppose....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read that description..... Plus... The purge valve, does not effect the gas pump- filling problem... When the truck is turned off, that valve is closed... I suppose....

If it's defective and remains open with the ignition off, it may allow fuel vapors into the intake and create a hard start condition (flooding).

When you change that purge valve I think there's a small rubber "mount" or piece under where it mounts (different from the o-ring); the new one may not come with one so move it over to the new one.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the Purge Valve....
#1 Notice the charcoal bits stuck inside the OLD canister tube-intake..Should I blow out the tube, after disconnectthe other end, from the rear canister??
#2 The green cap covering the valve opening..
#3 The valve inside the green cap.... A "tire style valve" ? Huh? Anyone change that?? ( Leave it alone?? )

Anyway, maybe filling the tank might be better..... I hope....

Attachments

• 20240710_133702.jpg
    20240710_133702.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240710_133737.jpg
    20240710_133737.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240710_133845.jpg
    20240710_133845.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads