2011 Denali electrical nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rxrep

Reaction score
I'd posted in another thread that was kind of brought back from the dead, but I wanted to start my own because from reading through all the different forums, not just tahoeyukonforum.com, this seems to be a more common problem than most might realize. Mine is 2011 Yukon Denali, bought new with 5 miles on the ODO in February of 2011. So, here is my issue:

Lights flicker at night, and sometimes the whole electrical system shuts down and "reboots" (stereo shuts off and comes back on, guage cluster goes blank and then comes back with all kinds of warnings like airbags, etc). The thing runs fine through it all and the engine doesn't skip a beat. I found by mistake that if I touch any of the window buttons in the wrong way (like if windows are already up but I hit the UP button), it shorts out everything almost every single time. And I don't mean "hold down" the button; I mean just touching it once real fast. Funny thing is that it won't do that at idle sitting still. The car has to be moving, and then it will do it every single time. What a piece of crap. Off to the wild goose chase of a dealer not being able to figure it out. But at least it does it all the time now so they'll be able to replicate the problem. A few months ago, it was intermitent. I made an appointment once and it stopped doing it about two days before the appointment so I cancelled. Fast forward a few months to now. Now, it does it every time I drive it. And at night, it's a safety issue for sure. I hope it doesn't stop as soon as I make the appointmet this time.
I'll update the dealer's response and attempt to replicate/fix as soon as I take it in.
Anyone else having these issues here?

K_ddsl

Reaction score
Man that is weird. I'm sorry you're going through that.
Not facing this here but one way for you to make sure the dealer sees this problem is for you to have someone with you and let them capture the whole thing on video while you replicate it.

Good luck working it out.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, I don't have such issues on my 2010 ... something is definitely defective.

Like K_ddsl said, best thing to do is to try and capture the problem on video and upload it to you tube, that way if you can't replicate it during your appointment at the dealership, you can refer to the video evidence.

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post back once they find something. I am seeing something similar but much less severe.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess a defective computer somewhere. A short I would assume would limited to switch. Hope the dealer will find the problem or would lemon it out and give you a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate