2014 Tahoe lift gate wont open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had issues in the past but yesterday It just wouldn't open at all and today I couldn't get it to open I don't hear any noises or nothing. I don't have the overhead button either the only button to open that liftgate is on the lift gate. Tried disconnecting the battery for a little bit and changing the fuses

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of issues in the past?

You might have to drill a hole through your rear interior panel to release the latch if it's staying locked...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have a button on the overhead console in the front for the rear deck opening/closing. I have found that occasionally the button is in the 'off' position, which negates the rear deck from opening. Toggle that switch back and forth, and see if that resolves your issue.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a power tailgate and the electric latch won't open, your only other choice is to drill the access hole in the interior of the cargo area.

Here's a good video showing it:

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of issues in the past?

You might have to drill a hole through your rear interior panel to release the latch if it's staying locked...

Issues in the past, as in like it would work intermittently when I first got it. It worked all the time and then slowly just would work Less more

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a power tailgate and the electric latch won't open, your only other choice is to drill the access hole in the interior of the cargo area.

Here's a good video showing it:

Thanks. Probably gonna have to do this. I think it’s a power tailgate? Maybe not. Maybe it’s just hydraulic assisted.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have a button on the overhead console in the front for the rear deck opening/closing. I have found that occasionally the button is in the 'off' position, which negates the rear deck from opening. Toggle that switch back and forth, and see if that resolves your issue.
Don’t have over head button. Mentioned that.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issues in the past, as in like it would work intermittently when I first got it. It worked all the time and then slowly just would work Less more
If you have a power liftgate, you would have heard the electric motor as the liftgate opens. (And you would only press on the liftgate button and not try to pull it open)

Either way, if it doesn't unlock, that has to happen first..

Pandabird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here I was charging up my Makita already when i realized I had been playing around with the sunroof yesterday.
Thanks for the easy fix. Now I just need to figure out if an electrical handle can be repaired or if I need to order a new unit.
(works by remote and now thanks to your info, with that switch next to the sunroof switches as well)

The switch on the front has a double-action press toggle on mine. It's either flipped off or on, but when "on" you can press it in deeper to open and close the rear hatch

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crow