2015 GMC Yukon Denali A/C Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idahoan208

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a recent road trip the AC in my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL went out (vehicle is sitting right under 90k miles). I took it to the higher end mechanic right by my house and they determined the front AC unit had a catastrophic failure and was seized. The quote for a repair was $9,500 because the mechanic stated “Inspected and found AC belt broken with pieces laying in the bottom. Attempted to turn compressor by hand and it is locked up. Recommend replacing entire system due to contamination from compressor. Need to replace condenser, compressor, filter drier, both expansion valves, and both evaporators. This vehicle is equipped with rear AC as well” this seemed an overwhelming to me so I took it to the dealer. The dealer resolved the issue
“REPLACED A/C COMPRESSOR AND CONDENSER. FLUSHED ALL LINES, FRONT, REAR EVAPORATOR'S AND THERMAL EXPANSION VALVES WITH A/C FLUSH SOLVENT. FRONT EVAPORATOR WAS FLUSHED 3 TIMES.” Only driven it about 50 miles since it was repaired and the AC is arctic cold .

My concern is the original mechanic is in my head after he stated that merely installing a new compressor and condenser but not changing out the lines and the read AC unit is a time bomb just waiting for some contaminant fragment residing in the lines to make its way into the new condenser or the rear condenser and cause another catastrophic failure.” And I’d be back at step one.

Should I trust the work done by the GMC dealership, or is the high end mechanics warning valid? Is the flushing of the system and what the dealer did gonna be a long term fix?

Thanks for any insight from someone who might have some knowledge in this area.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different shops say different things at times based on what they know. Your dealer knows your rig better than most. Keep in mind that dealers don’t usually turn away more money. If they thought they could get more cash out of you they would.

Flushing the lines 3 times is what it took to get clear fluid coming out. Your dealer also warranties there work. Enjoy sailing through summer with your arctic air and relax.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different shops say different things at times based on what they know. Your dealer knows your rig better than most. Keep in mind that dealers don’t usually turn away more money. If they thought they could get more cash out of you they would.

Flushing the lines 3 times is what it took to get clear fluid coming out. Your dealer also warranties there work. Enjoy sailing through summer with your arctic air and relax.
IMO, you should be OK with what the dealer states it performed.
And its warrantied for 12 months …. Or something like that…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdip5598