2015 Tahoe LTZ wiring meltdown.... beware ALL 2015+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCOLL5830

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I had a retainer fail that holds large connector between Rt side body harness and rear bumper object detection harness fail. As a result, the harness and large connector dropped down and rested on the exhaust pipe (past muffler). Meltdown as you can see in pictures. Pulled rear bumper and changed rear harness (approx $150) and also learned that part of this problem is failure of the so-called "plastic welding" that Chevy uses to connect the rear outboard radar sensor modules (both sides) to the bumper. They use ("heat staking or ultrasonic welding" ??)... which when it fails pulls the whole harness down. (see pic #3) Sorry for marginal description... hopefully pictures explain better. I started to pull interior panels thinking I could change that harness myself ... but I moved all the way forward and discovered that harness goes all the way up and under the dashboard.. at that point I gave up. I didn't want to get into 'pulling' the dashboard to get to the other end of the harness. Took to dealer.. they wanted >$1000 for the harness and at least 6 hours labor. I asked about just changing the connecter. After 3 days of research, they came back and said the plastic connector is available for about $40,, but the pins that go into connector are out of production !! Really ??? So not dropping $1600-1700 on harness replacement.... going to the used parts market (junkyard) next. I can splice the connector if I can find a used one. Its a big connector, but only contains 12 wires. Anyone know of a reputable yard I could deal with ? I am in SE Michigan, but will work with any yard that will ship to me. Local "U-Pull" yard doesn't currently have that year/model. Not sure if this is common to 2016, 17, 18 ??? Hope you all don't experience this !! Of course rear detection not working, and rt side 'passing' indicator on rear view mirror not working.... but I can live with that for a while. Another example of nice features/additional electronics increasing complexity and causing problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg