2017-2019 Yukon XL Denali questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckmiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Magnaride magnetic shocks and struts:
How often do they really fail?
Do the particles in the fluid wear away the seal?
Are they really nearly $900 each?
How much better is the ride comfort vs the "standard" Yukon shock?

22in wheels:
Are they more difficult for a shop to balance vs a 20in or 18in GMC wheel?
Does the 45% sidewall profile of the tire cause lesser ride comfort vs the tire you would have on the GMC 18in or 20in Yukon wheel?

My search for a (under 100,000 mile) 2017-2019 Yukon XL SLT 4x4 with the HD Trailer Package hasn't produced a winner yet so I am wondering if I will have to open up to a Denali.

OP
OP
C

chuckmiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, is anyone running an all-terrain tire rather than a highway tire?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnaride magnetic shocks and struts:
How often do they really fail?
Do the particles in the fluid wear away the seal?
Are they really nearly $900 each?
How much better is the ride comfort vs the "standard" Yukon shock?

22in wheels:
Are they more difficult for a shop to balance vs a 20in or 18in GMC wheel?
Does the 45% sidewall profile of the tire cause lesser ride comfort vs the tire you would have on the GMC 18in or 20in Yukon wheel?

My search for a (under 100,000 mile) 2017-2019 Yukon XL SLT 4x4 with the HD Trailer Package hasn't produced a winner yet so I am wondering if I will have to open up to a Denali.
Front struts from Amazon shipped by ra. Cheapest price online.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

The Magneride shock is generally good for 75k-100k miles. Look for signs of leakage. If it is not leaking, or has not locked up, it is probably still good.

Go to GMPartsDirect.com, enter your VIN, go to the Suspension section, and look for the exploded diagram of your suspension. You should find what you are looking for along with the correct part number. And, the cost will be WAY cheaper than the local dealer, probably in the neighborhood of $350.00 each.

Many folks on this Forum have noted that the 22" wheel with a 45 ratio profile tire does give a ride that is a bit harsher than a 20" or 18" wheel and larger ratio profile tire.

Many folks on this Forum use the KO2 tire for all-terrain purposes.

todd0131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 115k on the car and I am needing to replace them again, It will be my third set. I am deleting the magnaride this time

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chuckmiller

2017 Denali owner here: my takes.

1. Magna-ride shocks crap out up front every 75k miles of so. You will spend about $600 for replacements at rock auto. Then either do the work yourself, or pay to have them changed for a few hundred more. New they ride excellent, but once the oil leaks out, they ride like shit.
2. The 22 inch wheels look nice but ride like absolute dog shit as soon as the tires get past their initial new softness.......then all bumps are felt. THIS may contribute to the decreased strut life. I've had well over 150k on originals on my 2007-09 models with either 18 or 20 inch wheels. You will hate the ride if you live anywhere that doesn't fix roads on a regular basis.

My 22 inch wheels are getting sold shortly. 17, 18, or 20 inch wheels will replace them once I find some OEM ones I like. Colorado ZR2 wheels look sharp and are 17 inch, so more sidewall squish.

Best of luck!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@chuckmiller

2017 Denali owner here: my takes.

1. Magna-ride shocks crap out up front every 75k miles of so. You will spend about $600 for replacements at rock auto. Then either do the work yourself, or pay to have them changed for a few hundred more. New they ride excellent, but once the oil leaks out, they ride like shit.
2. The 22 inch wheels look nice but ride like absolute dog shit as soon as the tires get past their initial new softness.......then all bumps are felt. THIS may contribute to the decreased strut life. I've had well over 150k on originals on my 2007-09 models with either 18 or 20 inch wheels. You will hate the ride if you live anywhere that doesn't fix roads on a regular basis.

My 22 inch wheels are getting sold shortly. 17, 18, or 20 inch wheels will replace them once I find some OEM ones I like. Colorado ZR2 wheels look sharp and are 17 inch, so more sidewall squish.

Best of luck!
This is a bummer and a major downside to the K2xx generation rigs, in my view. I have 247K on the original front mag ride shocks on my '07 and they still ride like new.

duke90

Reaction score
I have a '17 Denali with 22s. I have Nitto Terra Grappler 10ply 285/50/r22 tires and the ride is great I think. I removed the mag ride suspension and replaced with Fox front and rear. Mag ride was great when the yukon was new, but for how much it would cost to replace with OEM magride parts I opted to just go with Fox and have been happy so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Gumbo