2017 5.3L with 6 speed - will a tune make my trans shift firmer/better? 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Tahoe 6 speed, nothing wrong with it, just occasional "hunting" for the right gear, and random slow shifts here and there

Reverse back to drive sometimes like to shift weird if you don't wait for a sec before hitting the gas.

Will a tune help this?

Appreciate any feedback from those who have tuned their trucks!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most obvious thing a trans control module tune does, is it makes the transmission act less like Buzz Killington,
and more like a friend who wants to encourage you to drive however you feel like driving.
If you are in an enthusiastic mood, it won't hold you back nearly as much as GM does.

If you want something more bespoke, best to discuss with the tuner at length before purchase.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a BlackBear Performance remote tune on my 07 6.2 motor and 6 speed transmission, and it made a big difference on how my truck performs. I truly believe that this remote tune is the best performance mod for the dollar that is available for these trucks.

Give BBP a call and discuss your needs.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, transmission tune transforms the truck.
ALTHOUGH, the 2017 shift schedule is not nearly as boggy as 07-14 tunes...

All factory 6l80 tunes engage 5th and 6th too early.
For 2017, 5th at 36mph, 6th at 46mph. Thus the constant hunting.

Not sure about the reverse to drive issue.. Are you coming to a FULL stop before changing gears?

Only heard good things about Black Bear Performance, so I would definately give them a call if you want to fix that hunting b.s.!
Totally worth the small investment to permanently fix it. (along with whatever other tuning they do that I don't know about!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khoworka