2018 BlackWidow Tahoe Premier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brianchrissy2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premiere. I’ve got a misfire and the dealership quoted us $23,200 to replace engine with new one, replace ball joints, struts, and shocks. Is that INSANELY high?!?! I about died when I heard these numbers. It’s a BlackWidow and I absolutely love it. It only had 91,000 miles on it and I planned on giving it to my daughter when she turns 16 in 2 years. We bought it new and it’s been paid off for a few years, but I am REALLY having an issue with the $23,000+. I just thought maybe I’d get on here and see if this fairly normal with the current economy or astronomically high.

Silverado4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premiere. I’ve got a misfire and the dealership quoted us $23,200 to replace engine with new one, replace ball joints, struts, and shocks. Is that INSANELY high?!?! I about died when I heard these numbers. It’s a BlackWidow and I absolutely love it. It only had 91,000 miles on it and I planned on giving it to my daughter when she turns 16 in 2 years. We bought it new and it’s been paid off for a few years, but I am REALLY having an issue with the $23,000+. I just thought maybe I’d get on here and see if this fairly normal with the current economy or astronomically high.
Why are you taking it to a dealer? Take it to an independent shop that someone recommend and tell them you have a misfire and check the other issues. The misfire could be something simple like plugs, wires, injectors etc $23,000 is robbery. Get it scanned if it's misfiring it should have a code telling what the issue is.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Sort the misfire out before jumping to a new engine the dealer will always be quick to fck you just saying…
Even if it were a situation where you had a lifter drop on you, you could still be around 3500$ or less for a dod/afm delete with all new bolts gaskets lifters cam ect ect…

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$23K? Yeah, no. Have it properly diagnosed at a well-reviewed local independent shop, or buy a good bi-directional scan tool and come back here to share the codes it gives you. Misfires on these rigs can be anything from a broken coil wire, to a bad plug, to a loose fuel injector connector, to a collapsed lifter. Is there any unusual noise coming from the engine like a loud rapping noise? If so, record a video, post it on YouTube with public permissions, and link it back here.

Also, the ball joints on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali lasted 196K miles, and I'm still on the original front Autoride shocks at 245K. Still handles and rides like new.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! First off, we need to see pics of the truck, I've never seen a BW Tahoe!

+1 on read the codes and report back. We will help you figure it out.

OP
OP
B

Brianchrissy2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My husband and I remembered an old friend who used to work for us(oilfield) He did a lot of our mechanic work. He opened up his own shop a couple of years ago when we weren’t drilling. So he is going to get it from the dealer and check it out for us. He said it could be a several things. Thank you all for the advice. I’ll let you know how it ends up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My husband and I remembered an old friend who used to work for us(oilfield) He did a lot of our mechanic work. He opened up his own shop a couple of years ago when we weren’t drilling. So he is going to get it from the dealer and check it out for us. He said it could be a several things. Thank you all for the advice. I’ll let you know how it ends up.
Keep us posted! I'm ex-oilfield, too.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He should be able to diagnose the misfire, and the suspension components can be DIY with basic tools and an alignment. Make sure to account for the lift kit (you can contact SCA Performance who builds Black Widow conversions), as I am surprised the dealer was even willing to replace aftermarket suspension components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tylert93