2021 6.2 Tahoe eats oil like crazy - is this truck getting lifter issues soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meathead16

Reaction score
And today I checked it and see nothing on the dipstick anymore. So another quart would be necessary. Ran the engine for a minute or so before I measured as the 6.2 was cold.

Best time to check the oil is in the morning  before starting the engine. After sitting all night the oil throughout the engine has made its way to the pan and you can get the most accurate reading of how much oil is actually in there. Letting it run for a minute or two first will skew the results lower.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? I would not be putting in a catch can, or any other modifications to the engine until all repairs under warranty have been completed, just in case GM wants to deny coverages.

Adding 1 quart of oil when no oil is showing? You might want to keep checking. When no oil is showing, its usually 2-3 (or more) quarts low.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Any update on this? I would not be putting in a catch can, or any other modifications to the engine until all repairs under warranty have been completed, just in case GM wants to deny coverages.

Adding 1 quart of oil when no oil is showing? You might want to keep checking. When no oil is showing, its usually 2-3 (or more) quarts low.
He traded in and got an Escalade.

For those who say oil consumption is normal and adding a quart or more between oil changes is normal - you gotta be kidding me!

On any new vehicle especially under 100k miles and under 5 years old there should be no oil leaking and no “consumption” between oil changes in 5k miles intervals

Maybe a half quart if you’re driving in severe conditions or towing a lot.
My last 3 GM V8’s never had to add oil between changes in 3k-5k intervals. On my 2024 Tahoe I had the oil changed at 1k and at 4k, and plan on changing oil every 3-4k after that. I check oil every couple fuel fill ups and so far it’s like my last V8 - no need to add any oil.

I can’t imagine anyone paying these prices for new truck and thinking that having to add quart of oil is ok! Buying a used truck with over 100k and no maintenance, that might burn oil but not these new V8’s. It’s not normal and you need to take it back to the dealership and complain. If dealership or any mechanic says it is normal for a new $80k+ truck to burn oil you gotta find another dealership!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1