2021 MagRide blown strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiniMaxNali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 2021 Yukon Denali with 75k on it has blown a front right strut.

I’ve just purchased 2 new OEM struts for a whopping $959. I’m trying to get to the bottom of what I’ve been told.
1. I was told I need to replace both struts at the same time(not a bad idea) but not when they’re $400 something a strut.
2. They need to be programmed after install or they will not sync…..

The struts I bought from the dealer didn’t come with a complete connector just 2 wire prongs to connect to the existing connector. Normal?

I was quoted around 4K for parts and install, I’m choosing to install myself.

Looking for tips on anyone who’s installed at home with no issues.
Main questions are the “programming” do I really need to???

&any extra parts you found you needed to complete the job.

Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I'm not aware of any "required" programming after a replacement installation. It probably makes sense to perform the Automatic Level Control (ALC) procedure, using a quality bi-directional scanner to ensure a completely level truck with the replaced shocks, but it is not required.

Second, unless you have a professional garage quality HEAVY duty spring compressor, you should not attempt to disassemble/reassemble the struts yourself, as without the correct tool, it is extremely dangerous to your health. When I replaced my front shocks, I removed them from the truck myself (easy), took them and the new shocks to a local repair shop with a heavy duty spring compressor and had them perform the disassemble/replace/reassemble the strut assembly. Then I took them home and installed them. The rear shocks can be easily replaced by yourself.

The plug for the wire connector is attached to the wiring feed, and it simply plugs into the shock after installation.

For the best pricing, go to RockAuto.com and/or GMPartsDirect.com, and you should be around $350 per shock. Also, the new replacement OEM Magneride shocks come with a lifetime warranty.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all you need to know as @Joseph Garcia just stated. I concur 100%. I've done these style up front and they are cake to install. Having the proper spring compressor is key. I never had to reprogram any struts I put in. IF there aren't active codes present, I'd put on a pair and be done with it.

The 2 wire thing is a pain in the butt, but it's a Deutch connector, so you release the pins/body with special tools and then reinstall the connector onto the new wires. Just mark where each goes before disassembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroG1988

Latest posts