2022 Denali 6.2 Oil Consumption Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
I have 43k miles on my 22 and for the past 10k miles, I've been having to add as much as 3qts between oil changes. I receive a notification on the dash that the oil is low. I had my local GMC dealer perform an oil comsumption test and they would top it off at each 1000 mile visit (x3). They notated that the consumption was normal for that amount of driving. I'm now still on the same oil since my last major change and the low oil indicator came on again. I added 2 qts and mind you, the dealer was topping off the oil on the first 3k miles. I'm taking it back to the dealer this week for the next oil change but would like to bring up that it's still consuming a great deal of oil.

When requesting the 2nd oil consumption test, can I ask how this can be peformed without the topping off or is that normal to calculate how much it's burned off? They don't ever say how much was added on the consumer receipt but will ask for totals this time around. Anything else I should add to this request?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, are you nuts? You should never let your engine get 2qt low on oil. I usually top my engines up when they get 0.5-0.75 qt low. If you let the pan level get so low that the oil pickup is not submerged, then you get no oil flow, and even for a few hundred revolutions, this could spell disaster.

GM specifies that 1qt in 1000 miles or more is “normal.”

You are already on record w/ your dealer (and your ECM) that you have tripped the low oil sensor…use the dipstick, and record what you add, but always keep your oil level in the safe operating zone, per the owners manual.

OP
OP
B

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
I don't expect the oil to get that low and don't expect to be checking for critically low oil all the time. Is that normal for such an expensive rig? I've had cars from other makes and not once ever had this issue. Is this a thing for GM vehicles as this is my first?

Knowing now that this Yukon eats oil like crazy then yes I'll be checking on it more often. This is outrageous if the consumption is so high that I'm having to add 2-3 quarts between oil changes.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely get proof in writing how much they add. When you add some get pictures of level on dipstick and mileage for proof to show them.

To me it's not normal even 1 quart every 1k miles is too much on a motor with that low of miles.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't expect the oil to get that low and don't expect to be checking for critically low oil all the time. Is that normal for such an expensive rig? I've had cars from other makes and not once ever had this issue. Is this a thing for GM vehicles as this is my first?

Knowing now that this Yukon eats oil like crazy then yes I'll be checking on it more often. This is outrageous if the consumption is so high that I'm having to add 2-3 quarts between oil changes.
No, that's not normal. But unfortunately, since COVID, everything in this world is an overpriced POS in my book. I've owned 5 yukons with 6.2L engines and none of them ever used oil (except for one that cracked a piston, 2009 model which was a lemon in my book).

My newest is a 2017, so the engine is similar to yours, just no DFM. I'm not sure what has changed, but I won't buy a new 6.2L. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. There is NO WAY that 1 quart per 1000 miles is NORMAL!!! GM is smoking crack.....

JKeller

Reaction score
Are you using 0w-20 oil? At my mechanics recommendation, I went up to a 30 weight oil and my oil consumption issues significantly decreased even with heavy towing. I use Amsoil.

OP
OP
B

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
Are you using 0w-20 oil? At my mechanics recommendation, I went up to a 30 weight oil and my oil consumption issues significantly decreased even with heavy towing. I use Amsoil.
I’m using 0w-20 based on what the dealership uses when I go in for maintenance. If I request 0w-30 will they use that? I’m only going there since I paid in advance with a dealership package.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Request 5w-30 and stick with that would be my recommendation. It's an oil they keep in bulk for most other older and commercial vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomatic

Latest posts