2023 Tahoe Induction/Carbon buildup service at 15k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mestes1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took our 2023 Tahoe RST 6.2 in for an oil change at 15k miles today. Dealer recommended an induction service to clear carbon build up that these engines get? It’s $189. Anyone heard of this? I googled it and can’t really find anything.

imfrogman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took our 2023 Tahoe RST 6.2 in for an oil change at 15k miles today. Dealer recommended an induction service to clear carbon build up that these engines get? It’s $189. Anyone heard of this? I googled it and can’t really find anything.
ask dealer why that wouldn,t be covered by warranty

Smokin Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've heard! Get the headlite fluid changed too while there!!! Lol
Buy a $24 large Chem Cleaner at Auto Zone and add to gas tank. done.....

OP
OP
M

mestes1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah that's the sense I got too, especially after I couldn't find anything online. I asked how often it needed to be done and he said at 15k and then again at transmission fluid service at 50k miles. So 15k then 50k? Didn't make sense.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer tried to hit me with a Throttle Body Cleaning at 22K miles for $89. I promptly declined.

At least they offered you the whole intake :rotflmao:

All that said, there is a GM bulletin regarding Carbon Buildup on intake valves on these Direct Injected engines, because they don't benefit from detergent in the fuel passing over them. Top Engine Clean may be somewhat appropriate...not sure, guess we need to know how many of these engines suffer from this.

See Here --> https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2024/MC-10251890-0001.pdf

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even new vehicles need maintenance....................
intake cleaning is not a bad idea at all, although I wouldn't pay $189 to have it done, you can do it yourself for around $20 in supplies and a couple hand tools
or drive it into the ground whichever, it's just money

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even new vehicles need maintenance....................
intake cleaning is not a bad idea at all, although I wouldn't pay $189 to have it done, you can do it yourself for around $20 in supplies and a couple hand tools
or drive it into the ground whichever, it's just money
Got a procedure for a DIY Intake Clean...most of what I have seen involves a tool that gets shop air and atomizes about 16oz of cleaner into the air intake stream, downstream of the MAF.
I am sensitive to the fact these DI engines don't get a nice spray wash of fuel over them...

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a procedure for a DIY Intake Clean...most of what I have seen involves a tool that gets shop air and atomizes about 16oz of cleaner into the air intake stream, downstream of the MAF.
I am sensitive to the fact these DI engines don't get a nice spray wash of fuel over them...
Should have had a ? after that first sentence. Let me ask again:
Do you have a prosecute for a DIY intake clean?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have had a ? after that first sentence. Let me ask again:
Do you have a prosecute for a DIY intake clean?
a procedure? yes I take the intake housing apart and clean the maf (maf cleaner), clean the throttle body (thottle body cleaner), add around 10oz of injector cleaner
use a new air filter (i have a dry filter on mine, so it just gets cleaned and reinstalled)
optionally you can use some spray such as crc gdi ivd, berryman, etc. that gets sprayed into the intake while running
for $189 the dealer may or may not be connecting a machine to the fuel rail and inserting the cleaner that way, if you want that done most indy shops only charge around $80, or you can buy a kit for relatively cheap and have it for future use anytime you desire to do it.
physical cleaning would require removing the intake, I can assure you the dealer is not doing that for $189
unless you have not been cleaning it regularly and drive it like the guy hogging up the fast lane at 55 then the basic cleaning and spray should work fine as regular maintenance
ever been behind a car and see them put there foot in it and see some black soot come out the tail pipe? doing that helps too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aracka