20mpg average possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one word...

DIESEL.......

Wrong... Diesel isnt even worth it these day. My Sierra gets about 16.5mpg average, and it costs $90 to fill up, where as if I fill up the Denali with 89 it costs me $73 and I get about 15mpg average. The oil companies basically phucked us in the rear for using diesel as a viable source of fuel and economy. If I still had my 99 dodge, then it would be worth it. That sweet little Cummins would average 23mpg and I managed 29mpg on a trip from Tx to Ca once with it.. My next truck is probably not going to be a diesel. Yea, I'll miss the power and torque, but if fuel prices keep going the way they are, and the oil companies keep ****** us by overpricing by-products like diesel, then I have no other choice..

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

But back on topic, I think a cam swap would open up alot of potential for efficiency with these VVT motors. Gas technology is following the diesel trend, more power equates to better mileage to a certain extent. More power = less time accelerating, and less time accelerating means better mileage. Changing a cam to more efficient valve events with some conservative tuning may help..

KimberHDII

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is going to be a giant gas bomb around a bunch of torch holding flamers but here we go:

My Tahoe:
2010 5.3 w/ DOD and 3.08 rear gear and RWD only.
LT3 w/ no NAV
Stock 17's on stock Rubber at 45 psi
Bone Stock Tahoe w/ 3rd row remove.

This is my DD in Savannah,GA (Read FLAT LAND W/ MINOR elevation chagnes +/- 50 ft.)
I have 2 stop lights and 2 stop signs each way to work ( M-F) and do most rural driving on the weekends. I follow the speeds limits which is predominately 45 and 55 mph. Yes I drive SLOW and use cruise control as much as possible, and accelerate like a grandma...what ever. I will consistently get 22.8-23.8 MPG Week in and Week Out... On the dash display for mpg and calculating from my gas receipts they both agree to .1 mpg, and I will consistantly get well over 600+ miles per tank...

Now driving on the high way i have noticed somethign very intersting.

@ 60-70 mph i will average 20-21 mpg. I wont get over 21.1 mpg. It doesn't matter 60 or 70 mpg, but I've noticed the DOD doesn't hardly go to V4 mode, and when it does it kicks back to V8 and drops mpg and then levels out.

@ 75 mph i will get 21-22 mpg. Very consistently 21. mpg. I've noticed it NEVER uses V4 mode and stays in V8 mode and is very light on the throttle.

I know it's a very particualr case on how I use the vehicle, but needless to say. Since I bought this vehicle, my drving style has changed. It's BIG, COMFY, ROOMY, QUIET(almost too quiet), Heavy, and I drive it accordingly. It gets me and whatever/who ever I can cram in it there in style and comfort. I'm thrilled and love it... And will definately be buying another one.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
ive got 22 mpg once, 90% Highway, no ac use, BB tune and 17 rims. Driving 10% in town dropped it to 17.8

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Can we trade everyone...Hell, I'm lucky to get 300 miles to a tank of gas. The avg on the dash says 13.0 constantly. I recently started to drive about 45 mins away 2-3 times a week.( all highway) I cruise control at about 70-75 mph and get around 320 miles to a tank.
But....I do city driving and its stop and go almost the whole way there. Probably 10 stop lights and signs together with a max speed of 35. If I were getting 15 mpgs, I would probably be like a teenage boy when he dreams of SuperchargedSS's supposed wife pic......(mrs. cuthbert if you don't know who I'm talking about)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Denali doesn't get the same mpg as the HyHoe ...

Ley's put it this way ... the other day I forgot to turn off the engine whilst filling up and I was there for 37 hours, AND I had less gas when I left.
picture.php

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove 2 hours on a highway no-stopping going 70, no elevation changes. Just flat. Got a whopping 17.1mpg

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denali doesn't get the same mpg as the HyHoe ...

Ley's put it this way ... the other day I forgot to turn off the engine whilst filling up and I was there for 37 hours, AND I had less gas when I left.
picture.php

Hahahaha

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

AR2007denali

Reaction score
I drove down I-40 to Oklahoma pulling a 5x10 flat bed trailer in my 07 denali and I was averaging 10.3 mpg. The 6.2 really loves the gas. It was the first time I pulled anything with it and needless to say I was ready to trade it in before I crossed the state line. Ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrettman