Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedWax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, all, new user + first time poster and grateful so many of you take your time to help others in what seems like a really cool community.

I recently purchased a 2021 Tahoe RST with "power mirrors," though it turns out the "power mirrors" do not include power folding capability. A particular bummer as I need to manually fold them before pulling into my garage. I should have known! I've scoured the interwebs and this forum quite a bit, and I've found this helpful thread that I believe applies to models before 2021: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/adding-power-folding-mirrors.123610/

I've also called the local Chevy dealership, and their feedback sounded (predictably) something like, "GM doesn't make a kit, so good luck finding aftermarket elsewhere, and maybe we can install it."

All of this leaves me with two questions:

1. Does anyone know if it's possible to install power folding mirrors on 21's (or on 21+'s more broadly) if the vehicle didn't already have them stock?

2. If it's possible, where can I find all of the necessary parts?

I should note in case it's helpful to frame any answers that I'm not mechanically inclined enough to warrant much respect around here or to justify trying to do this myself, so if this is possible, I'll likely be paying the dealer, a mechanic or generally somebody else to do it!

Really appreciate any help and insight - thank you!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My googling says the 2021 RST does have power folding mirrors. Or at least they are available on the RST in a package...you may need the memory seat package to get them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RedWax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My googling says the 2021 RST does have power folding mirrors. Or at least they are available on the RST in a package...you may need the memory seat package to get them.

Appreciate the response! Mine doesn't, though, unfortunately. Has just about everything else, but it has (1) different mirrors than the one in the video, without the signals / sensors, (2) no button on driver's side door dash and (3) no option to enable in the Intellilink system.

So I'm left wondering if there's an aftermarket / replacement solution, to include hardware / parts and approach...

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are out of luck...

i checked the schematics on the GM Upfitter site. Check page 2-53 for a description of how the power folding mirrors work.
The involved components are:
-Door Switch
-Memory Seat Module
-Mirror Control Module
-Passenger Side Window Control Module
-Power Fold Mirrors themselves

Plus, guessing you need wiring harnesses and programming of the affected modules.

I have never seen an aftermarket power folding mirror solution...but not saying one doesn't exist. Good luck. May be cheaper to trade your truck on one that has them.

rswaug

Reaction score
The cost of adding everything you'd possibly need as well as the shear time involved to program every module and system to get them to hopefully function would be so cost prohibitive that you're far better off just trading up at some point.

Forcer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Up to this one
Have the same issue, really need power folding mirrors in my Z71. So far I:
- swapped the mirror control module(driver side mirror control switch) to one with mirror folding button
- swapped 2 harnesses inside the driver door to have all the wires to the mirror and to the mirror control module
- swapped the driver mirror to one from escalade with all the features

still needs:
- 2 harnesses for the passenger door
- passenger side window switch
- passenger side mirror with power folding

So pretty much all hardware needed to do folding at least on the driver side is there, but it still doesn't work

My assumption is its the BCM with just the feature disabled thus ignoring CAN signals to fold/unflold mirrors. I kinda had hope that adding the hardware would automatically enable the feature in BCM but it doesnt seem to work like that
I contacted local GM dealership and after a week of back and forth they said there's nothing they can do, they can't really activate one feature(or the Luxury package) in BCM. This is pretty surreal that to get power folding mirrors you pretty much need to buy a new truck.

Anyone had any luck with that? any piece I'm missing?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adding them to my 2018 wasn't all that hard, just needed the door harness's, mirrors, drivers door switch.
you could try reaching out to Phil (the harness dr) he does mostly the pickups but those are not inherently any different
he could likely at least provide a more definitive answer.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that. Well done!

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I left the dealership after ordering my 22 Yukon SLT I went home and called GM about the "Power Mirrors" and was informed they were in fact not folding mirrors, so I called my friend (the Gen Mgr) I bought from and told him I needed the folding mirrors who transferred me to my service dept friend to see if they could be added after delivery and I was informed that GM will no longer allow ANY additions or reprogramming that involves anything not originally manufactured with any vehicle! So I had to change my order to include the "Luxury" package which does have the folding mirrors and the memory seats for 2K more. So I would say you are SOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elwah