21 Yukon Screech from rear passenger side when turning, braking at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDD50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon short wheel base with 55,000 miles and I'm getting this screeching sound coming from what sounds like somewhere in the rear on the passenger side.

When making right turns or braking uphill at slow speeds, I get this quick loud nails-on-chalkboard/metal-on-metal sounding screech. It doesn't happen on every single turn or brake, but there's certain intersections that I can go to around my house and replicate it 100% of the time.

I found recall N212351031 - "Rear Drive Shaft Loss of Propulsion" which seems to describe my issue with similar symptoms. However I checked with a dealer and while the model, year and RPO code of my vehicle are included in this recall, my VIN turns up no recalls so they're telling me that this recall doesn't include my vehicle.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing the warranty is gone? Are your lug nuts tight? Pull the wheel off and look for anything loose. While it’s in the air check for play in the rear end and brakes and that shock.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When making right turns or braking uphill at slow speeds, I get this quick loud nails-on-chalkboard / metal-on-metal sounding screech.
It doesn't happen on every single turn or brake, but there's certain intersections that I can go to around my house and replicate it 100% of the time.
Would you mind making a video of this?
I bet it will eventually be of help to others, not just you.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d still take it in. You have a powertrain warranty until 60k miles and 5 years. If it is rear driveline, will be covered. There was also a TSB regarding noise due to rust on the rotor face where the wheel attaches to the hub. Something is up, and if it is consistent, then worth taking it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardojr83

Latest posts