'21 YukonXL Denali-Click/Pop/Tick from wheel assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Just got the call that the dealer thinks they found the culprit. One of the exhaust pipes between the manifold and muffler is hitting the cross member. This isn't a surprise since the engine was replaced last year which inevitably means they had to remove and reattach the exhaust. That being said, the work was done by a dealer in Arizona with the previous owner. So this dealer is quoting me $240 to reposition the pipe so that it not longer makes contact with the cross member.

Question for you all, shouldn't this be covered by the 60k power train warranty? I have 44k miles on the odometer.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Just got the call that the dealer thinks they found the culprit. One of the exhaust pipes between the manifold and muffler is hitting the cross member. This isn't a surprise since the engine was replaced last year which inevitably means they had to remove and reattach the exhaust. That being said, the work was done by a dealer in Arizona with the previous owner. So this dealer is quoting me $240 to reposition the pipe so that it not longer makes contact with the cross member.

Question for you all, shouldn't this be covered by the 60k power train warranty? I have 44k miles on the odometer.
Powertrain warranty only covers internally lubricated parts of the engine, transmission, transfer case, and driveline.
That said, if the warranty work was performed and the issue is workmanship of that work, it really should be covered by the warranty...but...you likely have to eat the $240 on this one unless your dealer goes to bat for you.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powertrain warranty only covers internally lubricated parts of the engine, transmission, transfer case, and driveline.
That said, if the warranty work was performed and the issue is workmanship of that work, it really should be covered by the warranty...but...you likely have to eat the $240 on this one unless your dealer goes to bat for you.
Appreciate the quick and detailed response! So is this something you would eat the cost on or would you just say "thanks" and try to fix it yourself? I'm pretty handy with cars. I just don't want to diy if it's something that'll take 3-4 hours to fix. Not worth my time in that case.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick and detailed response! So is this something you would eat the cost on or would you just say "thanks" and try to fix it yourself? I'm pretty handy with cars. I just don't want to diy if it's something that'll take 3-4 hours to fix. Not worth my time in that case.
Only you can judge the value of your time. If you don't have a lift, might be a bit challenging to pull off yourself, but you could look at it to see what you think. I'd still ask the dealer: "Given the previous warranty work on the vehicle, do you think this was done correctly at engine replacement, or not?" It is possible a road hazard bent something...

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only you can judge the value of your time. If you don't have a lift, might be a bit challenging to pull off yourself, but you could look at it to see what you think. I'd still ask the dealer: "Given the previous warranty work on the vehicle, do you think this was done correctly at engine replacement, or not?" It is possible a road hazard bent something...
So I decided to have them fix it. Told me it would be $200(extra $40 was if they ended up needing new exhaust clamps). I did ask about warrantying the work by the previous dealer but was told that they have been given a "hard no" by GM recently for this exact type of thing since it wasn't done by the same shop and it was done over a year ago. They told me that GM would only cover a parts replacement in this case, but not anything that just requires adjustment. Considering that I've been chasing this issue for over 3 months now, I decided to throw in the towel. Been underneath the vehicle too many times trying to find the problem without any luck. Since they are confident in the solution, and taking it for another drive after the fact to ensure it's fixed; I figured just getting it done right now is worth it for me.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FML. Their fix didn't work unfortunately. Drove it around the block a few times and didn't hear the sound after I picked up the vehicle. Was nearing my home and rolled the window down again. Lo and behold, heard a loud pop when executing a left turn at about 15 miles an hour. Called the dealership and was told to bring it back for another look... This time I'm going to go for a ride with somebody there so they can hear it with me.

Also stupid me, didn't show them the video that I recorded of this happening on the first page of this thread. That is definitely not any kind of exhaust pipe making contact.

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to reply earlier today but never hit “send.” I just don’t see how this could be an exhaust issue. Nothing changes on the exhaust when you turn a corner. It just didn’t make sense to me and sounds like it wasn’t the fix after all.

Hopefully the dealer does a better job the second time around or at least refunds your money.

If I were you, I’d aim that go-pro at the backing plate/steering knuckle area. See if you can also get the tie-rod end in frame on the video.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to reply earlier today but never hit “send.” I just don’t see how this could be an exhaust issue. Nothing changes on the exhaust when you turn a corner. It just didn’t make sense to me and sounds like it wasn’t the fix after all.

Hopefully the dealer does a better job the second time around or at least refunds your money.

If I were you, I’d aim that go-pro at the backing plate/steering knuckle area. See if you can also get the tie-rod end in frame on the video.

Thought that maybe the exhaust moves a little since it’s attached to the engine which is on mounts, inertia and all on turns. I prematurely gave back the camera to my friend. Guess I’ll have to pick it up again. That being said, got a reply from the dealership that the tech saw my video and appreciated the footage lol. Guess maybe they should pay me for my work? Anyways, I’ll be taking it back for round 2…

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to the Service Manager and see if something could be worked out on the new repair since the previous repair was misdiagnosed.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to the Service Manager and see if something could be worked out on the new repair since the previous repair was misdiagnosed.
Ya once they find it(hopefully) and tell me what the cost to repair is, I’m going to bring up the misdiagnosis. I have all the emails from him telling me that they found “my sound” but when it came to the invoice, it said that the tech didn’t hear the loud pop that I described to them.