3.5" Exhaust for 2018 Tahoe 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are way overstating the "problem" of 3" aftermarket exhausts. A 3" system is likely to actually improve the power curve for the way most people drive these anyway as a larger system might actually lose you some torque in the middle of the power curve where you don't want to. If you don't at least have a whipple or similar on your 6.2L then I think you are kidding yourself about exhaust and the effect of larger pipe.

As far as Duramax's go I've personally seen more than one "sleeper" LB7/LBZ Duramax making well over 500whp on the factory 3" exhausts (I really think 600whp+ but I'm being conservative). My LB7 with a built trans and upgraded turbo stood no chance even with my giant 5" exhaust.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of y'all might benefit from watching 'Engine Masters' on Motor Trend TV. They do dyno comparison testing, in-depth and technical.

joe

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, bigger diameter exhaust piping is NOT automatically better. There is an actual 'tune' of exhaust fumes air flow, volume and velocity, involved in exhaust system engineering. With too little piping diameter, you get restricted flow due too much exhaust fumes trying to flow through the piping, with a resulting back pressure and a slowdown in exhaust fume velocity through the piping. With too much piping diameter, you lose the exhaust fume velocity momentum achieved from from the exhaust manifold/headers, and you get velocity dead spaces in the downstream piping, with a resulting slowdown in exhaust fume velocity through the piping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macm

Latest posts