4wd Issues PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryRoads

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1995 Chevy Tahoe With Manual TC

Here's the issue:
We just got done replacing front differential with another one, everything works except 4HI. 4Lo is also slipping out .

I have an decently experienced mechanic helping me but he seems to be just as lost as I am on this matter! He thinks it could be the mechanism that connects the manual floor shifter to the transfer case isn't adjusted properly that's why 4lo is slipping
(sorry I can't remember exactly what that's called)

We had it completely up off of the ground, nothing except 2Hi worked before putting in the other Front Differential, Now 4HI isn't working. I have another Transfer Case, which he said seems to be functioning correctly. So if that's the issue, I'll try that.

The previous owner swapped engines in this Tahoe, so all the wiring on the engine was funky
Example: the fuel pump wasn't working due to a wire on the engine not being grounded. Could this be an issue with the Front Differential Or Transfer Case causing 4HI not to work? Sorry, I'm not that educated with these types of issues. I can repair if I know the issue.

We replaced the actuator in the front differential. There's seems to be what looks like a sensor also on the front differential. we didn't replace that, could that be an issue?

PLEASE HELP! We have 4 small kids , we live in a rural part of Iowa where they don't plow the road we live on! Which is a gravel road 6miles from the nearest plowed asphalt road. We were completely snowed in last yr and we're stuck for 2 weeks and DANG NEAR ran out of food/water. This year we're trying to be more prepared. Thank you ")

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some troubleshooting before the parts cannon approach. Determine if it's front axle or Tcase. Factory manual troubleshooting very good.
Remove front driveshaft, Remove Tcase shifter arms.Now test front diff and Tcase in all positions by hand. Then see what other tndicators show on same tests.
See here- https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 Miles from a plowed road? I would stay well stocked up or park closer to the road and buy a tractor, quad, snowmobile, sled etc for those times when access is limited.
no water well?
anyway, I'm sure you don't need a lecture on living off the beaten path a little
a mechanical 4wd is just that, what year did the replacement come out of?
pictures?

OP
OP
C

CountryRoads

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
6 Miles from a plowed road? I would stay well stocked up or park closer to the road and buy a tractor, quad, snowmobile, sled etc for those times when access is limited.
no water well?
anyway, I'm sure you don't need a lecture on living off the beaten path a little
a mechanical 4wd is just that, what year did the replacement come out of?
pictures?
We moved from city to a rural area and was not informed or aware that they don't plow the road we live on. The neighbor had to use their tractor to pull out all our vehicles and plow our drive way. We live on 3acreas so just the drive way is about 75yrds. I bought a plow for the Tahoe, a 4 wheeler and we're building a dogsled now (we have 4 Huskies) we are WAAAAAAAAY more prepared for this year's winter. But this isn't a forum for any of that, just need help figuring out this 4wd issue. The front differential is out of the exact same make and model. I'll post pics later this evening. Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We moved from city to a rural area and was not informed or aware that they don't plow the road we live on. The neighbor had to use their tractor to pull out all our vehicles and plow our drive way. We live on 3acreas so just the drive way is about 75yrds. I bought a plow for the Tahoe, a 4 wheeler and we're building a dogsled now (we have 4 Huskies) we are WAAAAAAAAY more prepared for this year's winter. But this isn't a forum for any of that, just need help figuring out this 4wd issue. The front differential is out of the exact same make and model. I'll post pics later this evening. Thank you
Don't know if this info may help, appears there may a vacuum actuator involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonMatlock

Latest posts