4wd Issues PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pressureangle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish I was more knowledgeable about the specifics- I have 2 '94s and a '95- but the general diagnostic I'd do would be this;
1. Identify the location of the problem. With the front axle up, engage 4x4, either high or low, and try to spin the front wheels. If they spin without turning the driveshaft, the front axle connection is not engaged. If you verify that the axle is connected, you know it's the t-case. After that, move on to shifting the case by hand to verify positions. It's possible that when the front axle exploded it damaged or bent something inside the case as well.

OP
OP
C

CountryRoads

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a fully mechanical transfer case, nothing in there that "slips out".

It's all mechanical linkage, you can disconnect the linkage and move the lever by hand to select each position.

You said nothing worked except 2wd Hi to start with, all of that is controlled in the transfer case. Why did you change the front differential?

I wish I was more knowledgeable about the specifics- I have 2 '94s and a '95- but the general diagnostic I'd do would be this;
1. Identify the location of the problem. With the front axle up, engage 4x4, either high or low, and try to spin the front wheels. If they spin without turning the driveshaft, the front axle connection is not engaged. If you verify that the axle is connected, you know it's the t-case. After that, move on to shifting the case by hand to verify positions. It's possible that when the front axle exploded it damaged or bent something inside the case as well.
You all have been such a huge help! Thank you. I have been reading all the forums and watching all the videos I can find on this, but it's a TON of time investment which alot of the time only explains what we already know, + you guys reply VERY quick!! I wish I could help everyone of you some how. Again, thank you for your knowledge but especially your time! We have 4 vehicles and each one has an issue, so any step in the right direction takes so much stress off my mind.

Here's a little back story about my headaches:

*08 Tahoe has fully functioning 4wd, tranny & engine, just needs tires & the entire front driver side repaired which I'm doing now, ball joints, wheel hub, tie rods Swingarms link. then an alignment, which this is what the Wife will drive to work this winter
*04 Chevy Silverado needed the front of the leaf spring welded back to the frame, thanks to Wife's Tactical Parking Maneuvers which is done! but has n 4wd unsure why, we haven't even looked at it cause it's just been a vehicle for taken stuff to the dump or store runs
*Wife's 08 Buick Enclave needs rear seal and tranny looked at, but has no 4wd

I'll be driving the 95 Tahoe if we're able to fix the 4wd

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the vehicle hoisted completely up off of the ground, Front wheels went doing anything but the front drive shaft was spinning. We took apart the front differential after we took it out and there were broken pieces inside and the grease on the inside looked like grey glitter paint. So it did need replaced. I'm just going off what my buddy is saying/doing. I've worked on cars my whole life, but mostly suspension and brakes, never anything like this, so I'm completely clueless. Thanks for your input, it all helps
Originally you said nothing worked but 2wd Hi. if the shaft was spinning then the transfer case was doing it's 4wd thing and it sounds like the front differential had a problem. If you replaced the frt. differential completely then that problem should be gone, did the complete frt. differential get replaced axle tubes axles and all? The system is pretty simple, the transfer case is manually engaged with the lever. When it is engaged it has a switch on it that send 12V to the actuator on the right axle tube. The actuator moved the fork in the tube and engages the frt. differential. There is a small switch on the axle tube that sends a signal to the lighted indicator in front of the 4wd lever showing if the front differential is engaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stickle