5.3L Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGinn722

Reaction score
I have an 08' Yukon with the 5.3L. Within the last 6 months or so my truck has begun to act as if the motor doesn't want to fire when the starter turns over. It usually always does crank but sometimes the starter has to turn for a good while before the motor cranks. Other times the starter barely turns and the motor bogs down and barely cranks. Once it's running it runs perfectly so I don't think it's an issue with plugs/wires/coils. I replaced the starter but wound up wasting my money when it didn't fix the problem. I've heard of others having similar issues but has anyone definitively found what the problem is? It's more annoying than anything else. Never used to do it.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fuel related, especially if there is no SES light. Try changing your fuel filter...if that doesn't help your pump may be failing but, ideally, you'll want to do a fuel pressure check.

Cameron

SBCT

Reaction score
Battery

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SGinn722

SGinn722

Reaction score
I had it in my head to start simple with the filter. I'll change it and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll have to take it to my mechanic. I've had the electrical system tested and everything checks out. Battery is strong and holding voltage. Thanks,

SBCT

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a possible amperage problem with your battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee