5.3L Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SGinn722,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are seeking advice on how to resolve this vehicle concern yourself and I cannot give any technical advice. However, I would like to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me referencing this thread including your full name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership?

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
SGinn722

SGinn722

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll get it figured out without draining my bank account.

OP
OP
SGinn722

SGinn722

Reaction score
Back to this again....The starting issue only occurs in warmer weather, especially when the motor is warm. If I give it a little gas it cranks somewhat normally. Otherwise, it turns over and over and doesn't catch for a while. I've replaced the battery and the starter so I know it isn't that. I guess I'm confused as to why it would be a fuel pump going bad if it runs perfect once started. I've read of a similar issue with a nbs Tahoe where the guy had to replace a coolant sensor that was causing startup issues? Can anyone help?

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a gauge, you're guessing on the problem. One quick, although not complete test is to:

1. turn the key to on, but not start. Wait about 5 seconds.
2. turn key off.
3. turn key on, but not start. Wait 5 seconds.
3. turn key off.
4. Try to start truck.

If it starts, I'd bet it's a bad pump or clogged filter. But again, for a better verification, get a fuel pressure gauge and see what kind of start pressure you have.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi SGinn722,

I’m sorry to hear of this repeat concern with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to look further into this concern. I see that you have spoken with us before regarding this concern and we can be reached via private message if we can be of any assistance. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

ChrisK7UND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out. Mine has also done this for no reason. Also, I always have to pay a "diagnostic fee" at the dealer to get it looked at.

Chris Underwood

OP
OP
SGinn722

SGinn722

Reaction score
Turns out it's the fuel pump....Does anyone know the AC Delco part number? There appears to be several options. Mine is Vehicle VIN 0

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi SGinn722,

We'd be happy to locate a part number for you. If you'd like our assistance please send us a private message with your VIN. We look forward to assisting you.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx