6.0 in a 4.8 03 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dollarcustoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just bought a 6.0 from a guy who took it out of a 05 2500 express van. motor had a noise coming from it like a rod bearing is what he said or is this the rod slapp yall talk about maybe. if so how to fix it.

also what do i need to do to put this in my tahoe. ive read alot about the swap just want to make sure ive got most of the stuff to start.

and why dont yall use the intake of off the 6.0

i got this motor for 100 so i think its worth fixing if not can i use the heads

thanks for all info

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope, not worth fixing. So send to me and I will discard for you....LOL

Yes, have it torn down , add new rings and bearings. Might as well 'freshen' it up before you put it in.

Use your 4.8 intake, etc, and just slide in longblock. Have the computer retuned after you get it in.

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a number of things,bad lifter,spun bearing,bent rod,broke piston...

How many miles are on it,why did they pull it and how cheap was it??

The intakes are the same on the gen3 truck motors 4.8-6.0.The gen 4 went to a larger plenum and throttle body ....

Are you looking to put this motor in stock or with some upgraded parts??

Edit; just saw you got this for $100.. Have you turned the motor over yet to see if its locked up???For $100 id say your in for a complete rebuild.. Anybody with half a brain would not sell a 6.0 for $100...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dollarcustoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

thanks for the info but also what flywheel to use the 6.0 or the 4.8.
also if i get a intake off of a 08 how hard to install. if i get the comp. from the 6.0 truck which was a 2002 cclb 4x4 can i just swich the computers out. also will the stock manifolds off the 4.8 work on the 6.0

the motor has around 220k and it had that noise but the guy was still driving the truck and it was using a quart of oil every 5000 miles. i have a buddy that owns a junkyard and he had a 6.0 with less miles and ran good so he swaped them out and keeped the core which is what i got for $100

if i want to upgrade some on the motor what cam (a ls6 hot cam) is good to run being my tahoe is lifted around 5" and is on 35" mud grapplers. i already have a cold air intake, aftermarket muffler, and im looking to get a bully dog gt tuner.

JollyGreenGiant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there is def. something up with that... its too good to be true even though that motor is not uncommon

anyways i would like to hear more on this swap too

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info but also what flywheel to use the 6.0 or the 4.8.
also if i get a intake off of a 08 how hard to install. if i get the comp. from the 6.0 truck which was a 2002 cclb 4x4 can i just swich the computers out. also will the stock manifolds off the 4.8 work on the 6.0

the motor has around 220k and it had that noise but the guy was still driving the truck and it was using a quart of oil every 5000 miles. i have a buddy that owns a junkyard and he had a 6.0 with less miles and ran good so he swaped them out and keeped the core which is what i got for $100

if i want to upgrade some on the motor what cam (a ls6 hot cam) is good to run being my tahoe is lifted around 5" and is on 35" mud grapplers. i already have a cold air intake, aftermarket muffler, and im looking to get a bully dog gt tuner.

Flywheels should be the same.
Your truck should have the return style fuel system so the intake swap is more involved.. You'll have to buy the adapter harness for the throttle body which run $220ish..You'll have to either change the fuel system or run the newer vette style regulator with what you have now..
Cam wise i wouldnt run the hot cam..What gears are you running?
Id prob shoot for something in the 212/218 range or you could have one spec'd to better suit your need's..
The BD tuner will gain you nothing if you plan to run a cam the 90mm manifold or even the 6L for that matter...Your best bet is to have it tuned either via mailorder or localy...

Whats your budget for building this motor??

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebuild the longblock and just swap over your accessories and intake, including fuel rails and tb, then re-tune the pcm. The fuel system is different, so just re-use your intake and fuel rails. The tb will also be different, but you can remove your intake assembly as a whole with the tb and fuel rails and swap it straight over to the 6.0. This will be easiest and cheapest way. This way you won't need to re-wire anything or re-plumb/modify the fuel system.

OP
OP
D

dollarcustoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
6.0 swap

thanks for all the info been away on work. my budget is i can by one part at a time cause my truck still runs fine with the 4.8. so i can take my time to build the 6.0 right. but want to do it right the first time and not regret doing something when i built it the first time.

im runnig stock 3.73 gears withe 35" nitto mud grapplers with 3" torsion keys and 2" coil spacers, and 2" body lift

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. what everyone else said..
Also you will HAVE to use your exhaust manifolds from the 4,8 b/c the one side has a rib on it that the 6.0 does not have where it meets the y pipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52