6 speed laggy shifts and drive by wire lag?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are probably pulling the trigger tuesday on the 2013 avy lt that is fully loaded for $43K. Seems like a very fair price and we got offered 1.9% for 60 months and 2.29% for 72 months. Has trailer package, brake controller, navi, sunroof etc etc.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Yukon and have no lag and the trans shifts good. Just test drove a 2013 avalanche and 2012 Hoe and they both had horrible gas pedal lag and the transmissions were laggy as @#$%#. Both were brand new. Do they stay that way or do they learn as you drive them and get better?

Also how are the new 6 speeds as far as reliability goes? I know the 4L60E in 07 and 08 are known for crapping out. Mine was replaced at 18,000 miles before I bought it.

what is your impression, going from a 2007 to a 2013?

is the 6.2 that much better than the 5.3?

is the Sixspeed Auto as horrible as everyone posts?

is the tranny a "game killer" that makes it a requirement to get a tune ASAP to make it live-able?

we are on the brink of trading our 07 for a newer model, ours has problems, but for ~$2500, I could fix all it's problems, and be riding cheap & happy.

i would hate to pop ~$50k on a new SUV and then hate the tranny

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no problem with the 6 speed, with or without the tune. Sure you know when the gears are shifting, but it's not jerking or anything.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Hey fellas, was about to post something similar. Bought an '09 6-spd Tahoe with about 40k miles on it and felt something similar. The tranny shifts feel a little clunky but I noticed on the downshifts in that 3-2, 2-1 range that the tranny seems to stick. As I come to a stop the truck hesitates on the downshift and even lurches due to the late downshift a bit. Is this common? Brought it to a local dealer and they said the clunkiness is common and even showed me a GM service bulletin describing it as "normal", but the sticking donwshift troubles me a bit. Wondering if I should push the issue with the local dealer while its covered under warranty.

Felix, you mentioned a BB tune? Care to elaborate for me? Thanks. I'm good friends with a local Vette tuner and was thinking of having them looking at the trans tune.

By the way to the OP, I also agree that the acceleration is a little off too. Seems like you either accelerate slow or have to jam down the throttle to accelerate quickly - no inbetween.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cj -- It's all "normal," but it certainly isn't the way it should be, imo. A BlackBear tune with help some, but will not eliminate what you're experiencing.

I can't stand how much I feel this trans during braking. Brutal.

Who's the Corvette tuner you know? I, too, have a Corvette and an '09 Tahoe. I'd be interested to know who the tuner is. I'm in PA and had Dale at Berrel Auto (off 611 in Huntingdon Valley area) tune my Z06.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
cj -- It's all "normal," but it certainly isn't the way it should be, imo. A BlackBear tune with help some, but will not eliminate what you're experiencing.

I can't stand how much I feel this trans during braking. Brutal.

Who's the Corvette tuner you know? I, too, have a Corvette and an '09 Tahoe. I'd be interested to know who the tuner is. I'm in PA and had Dale at Berrel Auto (off 611 in Huntingdon Valley area) tune my Z06.

KMeloney, thanks for the reply. I absolutely love my Tahoe but that shifting is the one soar thumb. Was tempted to go to a dealer to drive another Tahoe on their lot to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I am good friends with the guys at East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge, NJ. I help them out every year at Carlisle. They have been working on my Vettes for almost 10 years. Their tuner (and co-owner) Doug has got to be one of the best LS tuners in the country. If you ever end up over their talk to Chris (the other owner) and tell him Charlie sent you. He'll take good care of you. Hoping to get up their soon for a Mantic clutch and some Pfadt coilovers.

BTW, I use the same username on Corvette Forum if you are a member.

By the way, see you have a Volant CAI on the Tahoe. You like it? Need to get a CAI...

Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie. I've always threatened to get over to ECS, but just haven't done it. Glad to hear you like those guys.

As for the Volant, I'd say that I like it. I really like the sound you get from it. It's like you've added an aftermarket exhaust to the truck. It really sounds great. Outside of that, I'm not convinced that it "does" too much more. There's potential with a tune, though.

I'm sure it flows air better than the stock set-up, so that's always a good thing.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie. I've always threatened to get over to ECS, but just haven't done it. Glad to hear you like those guys.

As for the Volant, I'd say that I like it. I really like the sound you get from it. It's like you've added an aftermarket exhaust to the truck. It really sounds great. Outside of that, I'm not convinced that it "does" too much more. There's potential with a tune, though.

I'm sure it flows air better than the stock set-up, so that's always a good thing.

I may be biased, but I was a long-time customer before becoming friends with the guys at ECS. I'd put them up against any Corvette shop in the country. They hold alot of Corvette performance records.

If its only the sound then I may just stick with the stock MAF for now and just replace the filter. My wife and I recently had a baby so I have a little less disposable income until she goes back to work, and the Vette always seems to win the mod battle. :)

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
That lagging shift doesn't seem to just be a problem with the rwd platforms. My 2012 Malibu (yes, I'm embarrassed to admit I have one) lags in the 4-5 shift if you floor it and let off when in 4th gear. It holds it far too long. I'll sit there cruising with my foot off the peddles and it is still holding at around 50 mph. The Malibu currently has 4600 miles on it.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, was about to post something similar. Bought an '09 6-spd Tahoe with about 40k miles on it and felt something similar. The tranny shifts feel a little clunky but I noticed on the downshifts in that 3-2, 2-1 range that the tranny seems to stick. As I come to a stop the truck hesitates on the downshift and even lurches due to the late downshift a bit. Is this common? Brought it to a local dealer and they said the clunkiness is common and even showed me a GM service bulletin describing it as "normal", but the sticking donwshift troubles me a bit. Wondering if I should push the issue with the local dealer while its covered under warranty.

Felix, you mentioned a BB tune? Care to elaborate for me? Thanks. I'm good friends with a local Vette tuner and was thinking of having them looking at the trans tune.

By the way to the OP, I also agree that the acceleration is a little off too. Seems like you either accelerate slow or have to jam down the throttle to accelerate quickly - no inbetween.

cjlaw73,

If you are concerned about the sticking downshift, I encourage you to consult with your dealer further. Could you clarify what you mean by "sticking".

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan