$650 for new fluids at 36k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never did hear back from the GM source on this thread.

I decided it was time to email GMC. I received a reply back within 24 hours, 2 calls actually. One from GMC customer service, the next day from the District Service Manager.

From what I was told a dealer cannot deny a warranty claim if you follow recommended services according to the owner's manual. In my case it means transfer case/tranny at 50k miles, never for the PS, and axles. Owner's manual even says axles don't need to be checked unless you suspect a leak. They said they cannot control dealers since they are an independent business but they can prevent them from lying about GM's warranty. The DSM was going to call my dealer to discuss about why they are making people think their warranty will not be good if they don't get dealer recommended services performed.

awray

Reaction score
I changed the fluids in the front diff, transmission, transfer case, rear diff, power steering and coolant this past weekend. I had about $110 in everything. Including the 2 hours I spent struggling with the malfunctioning secondary latch on the spare tire, I could pay myself $50-60 per hour and still wouldn't have spent what GM quoted the OP.

TahoeLTZ2007

Reaction score
I had the front and rear diffs,and transfer case done this week with a regular oil change.
It was 2.7 Hours plus the oil change. Total $320.00, 07 Tahoe with 80,000 miles
Mechanic says not to bother with the power steering.

notamechanic81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Half the time it's some new kid that's just trying to up sell. I'm an easy target anywhere near automotive shops/stores/whatever, cause i'm a chick. What they don't know is my dad was a mechanic for 30 years and I grew up watching him restore classics, so i know a thing or two.. i go to the same place for my oil changes, they know that when i walk in, i don't want hear that crap. And I think the owner respects that I keep coming back so when I drive up, he's out the door calling off the young dogs.

I had put in a new air filter a few weeks before I went in, and some kid tried to tell me that I needed a new one because it was pretty dirty. I said "oh that's weird, because when I bought it two weeks ago it was super clean!" The boss laughed, and he looked like an idiot. Don't trust those places, go to your mechanic or the dealership. Those places don't know shit about your car. They change oil.. You said you drive a Denali, but my yukon is no more than $30 to do the oil and top off all my fluids. Plus, because of a leak I have in my transfer case somewhere, I go in every two weeks and they fill up for free. Stick to one if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035