6L80 to 10L90 swap? Seeking insight on a 10 speed transmission upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrade your the factory torque converter on the 10 speed. You don't even need to change the factory stall speed...just get a better one. Circle D, Yank, TCI, etc.

Been thinking about this myself. But I was also thinking a built 6L80 and a Gear Vendors splitter would set me back about $8k and I'd have a 12 speed and I don't have to replace my Circle D torque converter.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
Upgrade your the factory torque converter on the 10 speed. You don't even need to change the factory stall speed...just get a better one. Circle D, Yank, TCI, etc.

Been thinking about this myself. But I was also thinking a built 6L80 and a Gear Vendors splitter would set me back about $8k and I'd have a 12 speed and I don't have to replace my Circle D torque converter.

oh wow! Has this been done before? 12 speed is pretty awesome! How do you control that? Is it as simple as a tune? Or does the Gear Vendors splitter have a control module?

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh wow! Has this been done before? 12 speed is pretty awesome! How do you control that? Is it as simple as a tune? Or does the Gear Vendors splitter have a control module?
Not sure. I still have research to do but I will def post if I move forward.

jaxscuby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So obviously the 10 speed TCM is different than the one for 6 speed.
Transmission harness also different.?
So why would you need to tune TCM if it's from +2018 Tahoe?
The engine still a 5.3.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negotiation with the East Coast shop fell through. I am now on the schedule for my 10 speed swap at Powertrain Swap Solutions headquarters in Nederland, TX on August 12! Road trip it is!
I'm interested in the total cost of this when you get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1