95 GMC Yukon No Start/No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So yesterday after work I went home and changed the fuel filter, tried to start and nothing.. Removed the distributor cap and the first spark plug to check the timing and timing was correct. Checked the cool for both power and ground signal and checked out ok. Put some starter fluid and tried cranking and still no start, almost wanted to start but didn't. This morning I wasn't convinced yet and poured some more starter fluid and cranked it still no start, tried once more and it fired right up! Stayed running and I shut it off and tried it again and it started again! I had to leave for work so I will try today during my lunch break without the starter fluid and see what happens!

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After a couple tries and some starter fluid I got it running again.. I left it running for about 30 min and it was fine, I turned it off and checked for codes and got code 42

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

So after some searching, there was a brown wire I was supposed to disconnect under the dash to set timing?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
tan wire with a black stripe. you disconnect it to put the ignition circuit in bypass mode start engine, set timing to 0° TDC, shut off and reconnect wire. ecm has control at that point on. the dtc code relates to the ignition module and ignition circuit if it is open or grounded so when done disconnect battery for 15 seconds and restart and test drive vehicle if the code returns let me know there is a diagnostic chart for it.

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so still have no start... I was able to get it started a couple of times with some starter fluid where it would start and stay running. But once I shut it off and tried to restart it would not start without some starter fluid.. A few days passed and I tried to start again and have not had any luck getting it to start again.. still just cranks and cranks even with the starter fluid.. Im going to replace my Engine coolant temperature sensor.. hopefully that might be an issue here.. Its cheap enough to swap out as a try.. the truck recently overheated when the idler pulley broke and after that was when my no start issue happened

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tested it with a multimeter in the ohm position and I got a reading of 5ohms at the plug for the engine coolant temp sensor

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
what was outside temp at the time?

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

you should get 70 ohms at a engine temp of 266°F and 100,000 at -40°f. So yeah 5 ohms would indicate something wrong with it. the pcm is probably leaning the fuel so bad it won't fire thinking the engine is very hot.

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The outside temp must have been around 86 today. I just tested it again out of curiosity and it's a lot cooler now in the evening and it's at 2ohms.. It's worth changing it out if it might help start

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES